Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

restore to alternate failover cluster

Post by frankive »

I have a hyper-v 2012 failover cluster. i have a 1gb lan to lan connection to my office where we want to create a secondary disaster site. I have a 2012 failover cluster on the secondary site and also a clone of the firewall and the firewall settings so it is 100% alike our production at any time.
But by 100% that also means the ip-scheming at the cluster level.. My Veeam server is located on this secondary site and is taking backups daily from the production site fine.

Is there anyhow I can get Veeam to connect to my alternate failover ciste with the same ip without doing a new ip-sceheme? I load the firewall configuration daily and really want to keep it that simple so i don't have to edit something all the time when I update the configuration from the production site.

The alternate site is running "san" from a smb3 share. I was thinking that i perhaps could insert a networkd card to this fileserver and the veeam site on a isolated network. In that way I could restore directly to the "san" - smb3 server which is great. But I don't think the machines would import them into the hyper-v manager / failover cluster.

Perhaps what I am looking for here is a powershell script that can auto import all hyper-v machines from a share?
bcscholl
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Brian Scholl

Re: restore to alternate failover cluster

Post by bcscholl »

Can you change the job to Replication? We currently run Replication jobs from one cluster to another cluster at the same site. Not sure if the subnets are the same how that would work.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: restore to alternate failover cluster

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Frank,
frankive wrote:Is there anyhow I can get Veeam to connect to my alternate failover ciste with the same ip without doing a new ip-sceheme? I load the firewall configuration daily and really want to keep it that simple so i don't have to edit something all the time when I update the configuration from the production site.
Do you mean that the alternate failover cluster is going to have the same IP Address as the main cluster? The only way I see this configuration possible is to add your clusters by their DNS names to the backup console and then configure your network routing. Here is an existing thread with the same question > Veeam Replication from Prodution to DR
frankive wrote:The alternate site is running "san" from a smb3 share. I was thinking that i perhaps could insert a networkd card to this fileserver and the veeam site on a isolated network. In that way I could restore directly to the "san" - smb3 server which is great. But I don't think the machines would import them into the hyper-v manager / failover cluster.

Perhaps what I am looking for here is a powershell script that can auto import all hyper-v machines from a share?
Either full VM restore or replication jobs will register the VMs on the Hyper-V host. Not sure I completely understand what you're referring to by saying "restore directly to the "san" - smb3 server". Anyway, restoring to SMB shares is fully supported. You need to manually enter the UNC path in the restore wizard to make it work. Also make sure that your target Hyper-V host does have read/write access to the share.

Thank you!