Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
patrick@symlogia.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Moore

SBS2011 unsupported OS in Veaam 10 and later?

Post by patrick@symlogia.com »

Hi all

I have been running Veaam B&R Community Edition for a couple of years on a Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host with a variety of VMs - 3 2012 R2, 1 x 2008 and 1 x SBS2011. After reading the supported guests under v10, I upgraded my 9.5 installation to v10, which went smoothly, but the SBS VM backup failed with an Unsupported OS error. I have had to rollback to v9.5 in the interim, but would appreciate if anyone could provide some detail on whether SBS is in fact supported under v10 and 11?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SBS2011 unsupported OS in Veaam 10 and later?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If it was running fine, then I would stay at that version. Everything sounds very old and without having support, I would avoid troubleshooting that setup.

Installing Veeam directly on Hyper-V is unsupported (while still working fine in many scenarios, we know that).

SBS 2011 is Windows Server 2008 R2 (without SP1 per default) which would be supported in general for application aware processing. But SBS is "complicated"... there are some forum posts that show that installing SP1 helps. But as I said before, I would keep whatever is running and re-design the environment once you upgrade it.

Best regards,
Hannes