Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
hyphen
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: AG

Simple Deployment Scenatio - Installing on the host

Post by hyphen » Aug 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Hello,

Your documentation said that for a Simple Deployment scenario we could install Hyper-V on the host but I see that 2 days ago it was updated and now that info has been removed and the new info says it is NOT recommended to install on the host but rather on a VM on the host.

I'm setting up a new server and had the whole thing planned but this new info changes things.

Can you please let me know why the recommendations changed? Also, if we install on a VM, can we install on a VM that is also being backed up or does it have to be a separate VM? Does the VM have to run Windows?

Thank you!

Shestakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 695 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Simple Deployment Scenatio - Installing on the host

Post by Shestakov » Aug 15, 2019 9:06 am 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Could you specify what piece of documentation has been changed?
Technically it's possible install VBR server on Hyper-V host, but indeed it's recommended to deploy it on VM.
Also, if we install on a VM, can we install on a VM that is also being backed up or does it have to be a separate VM?
Yes, it can be backed up. You may also schedule configuration backups.
Does the VM have to run Windows?
Yes

Thanks

hyphen
Influencer

Post by hyphen » Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Here is the link to the documentation that changed recently. That red warning was not there a few days ago:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Thanks for the clarification. I'm implementing Veeam B&R for a SBS client who doesn't have access to any extra computers so I thought of installing the backup server on the host. I guess rather than installing in on a VM that is being backed up it would be a bit better to install it to one of their workstations, even if it is domain joined. I will create backups of the configuration and if the domain goes down I can reinstall the backup server on another computer, transfer the backup files and start restoring stuff.

Is Veeam supported on Home editions of Windows 10? I could probably get them to use an old computer and upgrade it from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Shestakov
Veeam Software

Post by Shestakov » Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am

According to the document revision history the section was not updated.
Is Veeam supported on Home editions of Windows 10?

Yes

hyphen
Influencer

Post by hyphen » Aug 16, 2019 3:15 pm

That’s strange. If you look at the bottom right of the page I linked it says updated on 8/12/2019.

Regardless, I think I know have all the info, pros and cons and will just have to decide what works for our environment. I appreciate all the help.

Shestakov
Veeam Software

Post by Shestakov » Aug 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Hmm, you are right. Probably some issue with such a configuration was researched and recommendation was changed.
Also glad all questions are resolved.