SMB Multichannel transport for On-Host Backup

Hyper-V specific discussions

SMB Multichannel transport for On-Host Backup

Veeam Logoby l4k3k3m4n » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 am

Hello,
I am currently investigation this scenario:

-Hyper-V host with VMs on local storage.
This host has a NIC team (1G) for management stuff and additional standalone NICs for storage (10G SMB3).

Same configuration on the veeam backup server, which holds the local backup repository.

So is it possible for veeam to use SMB3 multichannel during the on-host backup process to transfer the backups from the hyper-v host to the veeam server/repository?

I tested a bit, but veeam seems to use only the primary NIC (which is the 1G team).
A typical windows file transfer between host and backup server uses the 10G NICs (SMB3 multichannel) automatically.

Thanks for your help.
l4k3k3m4n
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Moritz Hartwig

Re: SMB Multichannel transport for On-Host Backup

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Moritz,

Did you configured the preferred networks? See here for more information: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby l4k3k3m4n » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello Mike,

you are right, I can configure the preferred network to directly use a single of the 10G NICs.

But still it is not using SMB3 multichannel, which would (automatically) detect and use all available NICs and spread the load on them.
Is this not possible?

Thanks
l4k3k3m4n
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 am

Hi Moritz,

Sorry for the late reply but I had to ask some Windows Server 2016 networking experts for some guidance.

1. I assume that your 2 NICs for multichannel are on the same subnet?
2. Did you change SMB constraints?
3. There are cases (not documented by MSFT but seen in the field quite a few times) that you need to reboot host(s) / veeam server after changing the settings on those NICs. Apparently it is a best practice to do when working with SMB 3 and the new features

Let me know

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby l4k3k3m4n » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello Mike,

yes the 10G NICs for SMB3 are in the same subnet.
I did not change any SMB constraints.
Yes the servers were rebooted quite a few times.

Generally multichannel is working fine.

When I do a file copy from hyper-v host to veeam server (or the other way) the transfer will use both 10g NICs on both servers.

When I run a veeam backup between the same servers it will use the primary 1G nic teams.
When i configure the preferred network in veeam It will use 1 of the 10g NICs in both servers.

So it seems veeam never triggers a SMB3 multichannel connection for the backup transfer.

Thanks.
l4k3k3m4n
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Moritz,

I'm out of ideas. I have seen this working with Hyper-V 2016 SMB3 MC and B&R server (also a 2016) with SMB 3 MC enabled.

Maybe you can contact support about this. It might be that they see something in the logs that explains why only 1 channel is being used at your side

Sorry
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V