Snapshots with Dell Hardware VSS Writer

Hyper-V specific discussions

Snapshots with Dell Hardware VSS Writer

Veeam Logoby AntonJVR » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:24 am

I have a customer with a few Hyper-V hosts running Server 2012R2 and using Veeam VBR 9.5 with an off Host Proxy Server and the Dell Equalogic Hardware VSS writer.

The environment has got 4x 10TB CSV's for clustered Storage. When doing a snapshot, the Dell VSS writer takes way more than two minutes to create the snapshot, causing Hyper-V's VM Heartbeat feature to restart some VM's randomly on other hosts.

Can somebody please assist in telling me what the Best Practice sizing for CSV's is for using Dell Hardware VSS.

I have looked at the common stuff like, tasks, Snapshots per CSV, ODX, etc.

Thanks
AntonJVR
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Anton J van Rensburg

Re: Snapshots with Dell Hardware VSS Writer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 am

Anton,

I would contact support with this one (as usual, post the support case # here and the follow up after that)

For a best practice sizing, 10 TB per CSV should certainly not be considered a bad practice or too much. I have seen this working with larger CSV luns.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby AntonJVR » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 am

Hey Mike, Thanks, Can you confirm that you saw the >10TB snapshots of LUN's using the Dell Hardware VSS writer on Equalogic?
AntonJVR
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 am

To be honest, I start to doubt which storage it was from Dell (but certainly not the newer ones). But still, my point for a support call stand. We used to see a lot of issues with hardware VSS and many work has been done in investigation from our side and updates from the hardware vendors for their firmware to address VSS issues.

Another advice is to read this paper: https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2014/ ... r-channel/

It is written by one of our Veeam Vanguards who is also a Microsoft MVP and has lots of experience in configuring off-host proxies with Hardware VSS and Hyper-V
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby AntonJVR » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 am

Already implemented as per blog post.
The problem is not with Veeam though.
The customer logged calls and was referred to Dell.
Will try logging another one.. Tx
AntonJVR
Novice

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V