Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

SQL Backup Chain Broken

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

Since upgrading to Veeam B&R 9.5U4b our daily SQL backup chain is broken. On Sunday midnight we do a Full Backup using SQL to a folder on the SQL server, then each day at midnight a Differential is created, also to a folder on the SQL server. For some reason the Sunday night Full backup and the Monday Differential are no longer linked. When I look at the Backup Browser it mentions Veeam B&R every day now.

When I try to do a restore of the Full (NORESTORE) and then the Differential (RESTORE) it says that the Differential is not linked to the Full, specifically "This differential backup cannot be restored because the database has not been restored to the correct earlier state."

At the moment we can only restore the Full backups, not the Differentials, within SQL. I will open a case with Support, I am just hoping it is a simple fix that someone here can point out. Is this an issue with Application Awareness?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: SQL Backup Chain Broken

Sorry, it's 9.5U4a, not 9.5U4b.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

A restore of a SQL database from VeeamBR gives "Specified cast is not valid. (SqlManagerUI)"
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Case # 03756366
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex, are you backing up the same VM with Veeam B&R with the copy_only flag set?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

foggy wrote: Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm Hi Alex, are you backing up the same VM with Veeam B&R with the copy_only flag set?
The copy_only flag is not set. Would this explain why the Differentials don't appear to be linked to the Full backup in SQL?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

The job was set with the default settings, we have only just discovered the issue after some data needed to be restored.

We have made the change to "Perform copy only" and changed to "Try application processing, but ignore failures"

I found this article enlightening:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

AlexLeadingEdge wrote: Sep 18, 2019 2:22 am The copy_only flag is not set. Would this explain why the Differentials don't appear to be linked to the Full backup in SQL?
Yes, my guess is that this was the reason. Let's see if setting this option helps.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Hi Foggy,

Yes, that has worked perfectly! :)