Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
stickymicky
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Mettam

SureBackup for Hyper-V?

Post by stickymicky »

Hi all...

Im trying to compare the features that VMware gives us over a hyper-v implementation...

Two feature that i love the look of are U-AIR and SureBackup!... But these are currently not available with Veeam on a Hyper-V platform...

From what I understand this is due to the complexity that the vSwitch in VMware gives and the fact that the VM's can be mounted over a NFS datastore share???

Can anyone tell me if these features can be obtained with any other feature or are these just a Veeam only with VMware???

I want to use VMware however, I need to get all the comparisons weighed up!

Pls HELP!!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: SureBackup for Hyper-V?

Post by Gostev »

stickymicky wrote:From what I understand this is due to the complexity that the vSwitch in VMware gives and the fact that the VM's can be mounted over a NFS datastore share???
The only reason is that we just could not add every single feature we have been developing for VMware during past 5 years to another hypervisor in the very first release. However, our goal is to have the same feature set across hypervisors.

There is certainly no additional complexity - in fact, in case you missed - we have just added vPower (ability to run VM from backup file) for Hyper-V in Backup & Replication version 6.1 released 2 weeks ago, and this is obviously the cornerstone functionality of SureBackup and U-AIR.

We are still missing the virtual lab component, so the only vPower feature available for Hyper-V at this time is Instant VM Recovery. This, however, also means that you can already perform SureBackup and U-AIR process with additional manual steps (by performing Instant VM Recovery to the dedicated network).

Good luck with your comparison, I hope you are looking at Windows Server 2012 and its new Hyper-V for this purpose, because the current Hyper-V version is pretty lacking to say the least...