Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

System requirement on Host

Post by jochot »

Hey,

So I got this site: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Which shows the system requirements for Veeam components.

I get most of those, but I am curious about the Hyper-V Host load.
The point "Off-Host Backup Proxy Server" shows the requirements for the proxy server, but only for the off-host one.

What is the load on the Hyper-V host, when there is no off-host backup proxy?
And what is the load on the Hyper-V host, when there is a backup proxy?

I installed a proxy a few days ago to test the difference, but it's not doing anything to my backup speed.
When I look into the Hyper-V Server, I see 2 "VeeamAgent.exe" tasks in the Resource Monitor/Memory Tab.
One has around 3GB RAM and one 1GB RAM usage, that looked the same without the proxy, so I'm asking myself what does the proxy do?
On the Proxy I have around half a GB of RAM used by Veeam, so it seems like the proxy isn't doing anything at all?

For the Job, under "Storage" I specified my backup proxy.

Antoher thing: if I click next on the "Storage" tab, I get the message, that no gateway server is specified, I wonder what that is now? As I understand it works like this:
Hyper-V Host -> Proxy Server/Backup Server -> Repository
So I see the proxy Server as the gateway server (which is the data mover), do I need another server between the proxy and the repo?

thanks in advance for the help :)
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Re: System requirement on Host

Post by jochot »

Ok I'm not sure if I'm stupid or blind, I cannot find a edit button.

So I added the proxy server(11th) as the gateway server for my NAS(6th).
http://imgur.com/a/6a8RO
This is my environment.
The Servers from 11th floor are backed up to the 6th floor and are using the Backup proxy on the 11th floor to do so.
on this site (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) it says "In the common case, a machine to which you assign the role of a gateway server must be located as close to the backup repository as possible."
But why would want to have another Server in the way?
Hyper-V Host(11th) -> Proxy Server(11th) -> Backup Server(6th) -> Repository(6th)
What do I get out of this architecture instead of using this way:
Hyper-V Host(11th) -> Proxy Server(11th) -> Repository(6th)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: System requirement on Host

Post by foggy »

jochot wrote:What is the load on the Hyper-V host, when there is no off-host backup proxy?
And what is the load on the Hyper-V host, when there is a backup proxy?
In case of on-host backup, all the data processing is performed on the host itself, which, depending on the backup load, can affect normal operation of VMs running on the host.
jochot wrote:I installed a proxy a few days ago to test the difference, but it's not doing anything to my backup speed.
Are you sure it is effectively selected for processing during the backup job?
jochot wrote:Antoher thing: if I click next on the "Storage" tab, I get the message, that no gateway server is specified, I wonder what that is now? As I understand it works like this:
Hyper-V Host -> Proxy Server/Backup Server -> Repository
So I see the proxy Server as the gateway server (which is the data mover), do I need another server between the proxy and the repo?
Depends on the repository type. If it is remote CIFS, for example, you need a gateway server located close to it for optimal data transfer (data will be sent between proxy and gateway in this case).