Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
StephanG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan G

"Unable to delete the selected host..."

Post by StephanG »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to delete our old infrastructure from Veeam. But it still says that it has depenencies in some jobs.
I deleted the hosts,cluster from the "what to backup" page and removed all exclusions - also checked the guest interaction proxy.
Is there a more detailed information i can check? Can i somehow debug this error?

I opened up a case - but this ends in T-SQL against the sql database. This would be my last resort (had some bad experience some time ago with that).
It is a pretty new installation from the beginning of the year.

BR
Stephan
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: "Unable to delete the selected host..."

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stephan
I opened up a case - but this ends in T-SQL against the sql database. This would be my last resort (had some bad experience some time ago with that).
Can you please share the case number with us? We cannot check your configuration over a simple forum post.
Debugging your environment is done by examine the most recent log files (%programdata%/Veeam/Backup), which you can do yourself or let our customer support team do it.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

The case is 06290700
Already did that - but could not find anything. I just told the technician that we postpone it until Monday - as the weekly backups should run tonight.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Thank you for the case number.
I see that the case was escalated to find another solution than database editing.
From my experience, database edit will be required if there are orphaned (inconsistent) objects in the database.
Even if Veeam would provide a hotfix, in the end the hotfix will do a database edit in the backend.
Let's see if our experts from the next tier will be able to provide another solution.

Best,
Fabian
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

I understand that we need database editing or other stuff if there is no way around.
But the servers are still running so that i can remove the gracefully. And if this is possible somehow - i would prefer this way.
Last time i ended up recreating the backup jobs and all depending other jobs (SureBackup etc).

In the database it also must be possible to see where Veeam thinks there is a connection to the job. "On Host Proxy" or Credentials or whatever.
StephanG
Enthusiast

Post by StephanG »

Your support guy did it - great job.
Error code was: Unable to delete the selected host because it carries one or more backup infrastructure roles.

I just wrote it down what he did and where those servers can be referenced.
In my case it was "unticked" Indexing - and there some older servers. As the button was not active. I did not thought about that.

Look at the following:
Edit Job
Virtual Machines
Remove from "to backup"
Exclusion: Check if there are any exclusions that are pointing to the object to be deleted (mouse over)
Storage
Check if backup proxy is the server or one node from the cluster
Guest Processing
Button Applications: Check every entry if it is pointing to the object to be deleted (mouse over)
Button Indexing: Check every entry if it is pointing to the object to be deleted (mouse over)
!! If they are unticked - it also counts - tick them - remove - untick them !!
Button: Credentials: Check every entry if it is pointing to the object to be deleted (mouse over)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stephan

Nice. Thank you for the update and providing us with the solution.
I'm sure it will help others.

Best,
Fabian