Unable to reinstall VBR

Discussions specific to Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

Unable to reinstall VBR

Veeam Logoby badams » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:20 am

OK, just to let you know why I did something that broke Veeam, I will explain it. I had Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 3 installed on a backup server. Everything was fine. I have a separate 10TB RAID1 for the backups. After everything was working, I discovered the storage drive was formatted as NTFS. I wanted to change it to ReFS. This was a new setup so there were no needed backups on the drive, There were a few folders on the drive that the initial install of Veeam had made: The backup respository, etc. I figured I had two choices. Copy the folders to the desktop, reformat the drive, then copy them back or uninstall Veeam Backup and Replication from Programs and Features (Windows Server 2016 Standard) and then reformat the drive to ReFS. Of course, the folders would be written over, but my hope was the new install would repopulate the folders.

I then opened the installer as an administrator and began the install. It is important to note that the only thing I had done was uninstall VBR and planned to reinstall it. Veeam ONE and all of the SQL Servers were still installed. You probably know where this is going. I got to the window where I needed to choose the SQL Server instance. The install new instance was not available. Everything was filled in. I then clicked next. This brought me to the first of two errors:

1. Configuration database is in use by VBR installed on "host name." Do you want to continue? I selected Yes.

2. Unable to use database VeeamBackup, because it was created with a later version of Veeam Backup and Replication.

I am not sure what to do now. Do I need to uninstall all of the SQL Server components? Uninstall everything? Thanks.
badams
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Bert Adams

Re: Unable to reinstall VBR

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 am

Hi Bert,

Please contact support with this. I assume that something remained hanging with the uninstall. I'm sure the engineers can figure out what it is and fix that. You will probably need to drop the SQL databases from VBR 9.5 U3 so it can do a clean install. The ISO itself that you are using is probably not yet with U3 updated which means it tries to install an "earlier" version of VBR, hence the error message.

If you don't want to contact support. Delete the VBR database (but then the config will be gone...) and start clean again.

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 471 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V