Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cre8toruk
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Upgrade to 10A Can't update / use hosts

Post by cre8toruk »

Case ID: #02003737
Two days ago I decided to upgrade my Veeam to 10a.
On completion and opening up the console it advised me that 1 (yeah just one) of my clustered servers needed to be updated / upgraded (and another test server but more about that in a minute).

I hit 'Go' and it went off "checking installed components". It then failed telling me that the 1/4TB of disk space on the C: drive of my server was insufficient.
The backups for all the VM's on that host subsequently also failed that night.

The actual error is;
Failed to upgrade installers DLL
Not enough server storage is available to process this command
RPC function call failed. Function name: [FcWriteFile]. Target machine: [<<ip address of target machine>>:6160]
--tr:Failed to upload file 'c:\program files\veeam\backup and replication\backup\packages\veeamdeploymentdll.dll' to host <<ip of target host>>. Destination path: 'C:\WINDOWS\veeam\backup\upload\veeamdeploymentdll.dll'

I thought I'd try removing one of my test servers and seeing if I could re-add it but this gives the same error.

So far in 2 days I've had one email from tech support directing me to a googled microsoft KB article last updated in 2018 which talks about a registry setting and Windows NT4 in the same breath.

To same I'm a little irritated is to say the least.

Anyone else got any ideas ?

kind regards,

Paul.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Upgrade to 10A Can't update / use hosts

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

As far as I see, the error message does not come from Veeam code but thrown by OS on the request to upload a file to the specified path. The best option is to continue working with our support team in order to isolate the issue at the level of target host OS.

The only idea which comes to my mind is to check that the problem is not provoked by AV software activity, for example the similar issue is described in this article on McAfee knowledge base.

Thanks!
cre8toruk
Novice

Post by cre8toruk »

Hi, what evidence are you basing your assertion that the error message doesn't come from veeam ?
The action is initiated by veeam and the error is displayed in a veeam error window not an OS one.

If the best option is to "continue" to work with your support team then perhaps your support team could answer my ticket with more than just one response in over 48 hours with a link to a post that was published in 2018 and has no relevance to the issue at hand.

48 hours ago I had a perfectly working backup system but at veeam's suggestion I upgraded and now I have a broken backup system.
I would have hoped for a better response than having to resort to posting in a forum.
cre8toruk
Novice

Post by cre8toruk » 1 person likes this post

APOLOGY!: Hi, having applied the registry setting 12 to the IRPStackSize parameter, I then rebooted my test server. I can confirm that I am now able to add it back into Veeam.

To that end I am big enough to acknowledge when I'm wrong and I was. I don't understand why this is / was a problem now when it never was before and isn't on one of my clustered servers (but not the other one). This parameter or a reboot (or both) of the server seems to have solved the problem and for that I'm grateful for the suggestion and I'm sorry that I dismissed it as I did.

It is a bit of a pain having to reboot the other host server as I have some elderly VM's that don't live migrate and require a little bit of care in order to reboot the host server, so I'll schedule this in tonight and hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks again... I will update the support ticket similarly.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

No need to apologize as an unexpected error message appearing on a system which had been working stable for a long time might be very confusing. I'm glad to hear that the issue does not persist anymore.

It's hard to say what is the real root cause, potentially you could ask the similar question and get more ideas on Microsoft forums.

Thanks!