Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Upgrade Veeam Host to 2016

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi,
We have our veeam server installed on Windows server 2012 R2. We would like to upgrade it to 2016. Is there anything we need to think about regarding Veeam or we can upgrade Windows like usual?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Upgrade Veeam Host to 2016

Post by veremin »

The only thing I'd recommend prior to update is to backup server configuration. Also, check this thread if you're going to update Hyper-V host as well. Thanks.
wjching
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ching Wen Jun

[MERGED] Veeam Server OS Upgrade Considerations

Post by wjching »

Hi All,

I have intentions to upgrade one of my customers Veeam Server OS from WS2012R2 -> WS2016. Just wondering if there are any considerations in terms of pre-requisites that has to be achieved in order to have this executed in a smooth manner.

Understand the basics such as Veeam Server Catalogue Backups, etc. I was thinking of also backing up the SQL Express DB as a safe measure. My Veeam Server is currently running on Version 9.5.0.823, just curious if there are any misbehaviour on the Veeam server once the upgrade is completed.

I have intentions to use the roll up upgrade method to upgrade the OS.

As always thanks in advance everyone :)

Regard,
Wen Jun.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or advice :D

Regards,
Wen Jun
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Server OS Upgrade Considerations

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Wen Jun,

The main consideration is to back up your configuration database (via built-in functionality or via just backing up the SQL Server hosting this DB). If you do the in-place upgrade, then I do not foresee any issues.

Thank you!
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi Vitaly,

I am currently running sql express as my DB, so in the event if something went wrong, and I have to restore DB based on the one i backed up before the upgrade activity, If i wanted to upgrade my VEEAM Version to V9.5 U3a, would my database still be usable ? Assuming that since my Veeam Software is already unusable, so I might as well just reinstall to the latest Veeam Software version.

Thanks for your advice on this ! :)

Regards,
Wen Jun.

Regards,
Wen Jun
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What happens if you try to restore the db to already updated backup server, using a backup file taken before the upgrade? Nothing good - most likely, this will lead to unusable environment.

As Vitaliy's suggested, use configuration backup to protect product configuration.

Thanks.
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi Eremin,

Meaning to say for the proposed Backup Configuration, if i did a backup config on version 9.5 U3 and restored it to version 9.5 U3a,via the veeam inbuilt backup configurator, this will be a supported scenario ?

Anyways, I will perform both ( (via built-in functionality or via just backing up the SQL Server hosting this DB)), as per Vitality suggestion and let you guys know how it goes.

Else worst case scenario is to re-image OS disk and reconfigure Veeam from scratch. My Customer's environment is not that huge and only comprises of 3 Hyper-V Hosts and 30+ VM's, but I forsee I will risk having to repopulate all of my WA Cache and perform fingerprinting for those replicating VM's. Which will take considerable amount of time for the first run.

Regards,
Wen Jun.

Regards,
Wen Jun
wjching
Enthusiast

Post by wjching »

Hi v.Eremin,

In Addition to the above, I made a mistake. My customer environment is running VBR 9.5 U1, I would like to upgrade to VBR 9.5 U3a for them. Would Backup Configuration still work then ? If i restored to VBR 9.5U3a eventually ?

Regards,
Wen Jun.

Regards,
Wen Jun
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Would Backup Configuration still work then ? If i restored to VBR 9.5U3a eventually ?
Correct, it would. Thanks.