Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Upgrading Hyper-V intergrations (9.5 u4a)

Post by leo.white »

I upgraded my Veeam environment last week to the newest version. Only issue i have is veeam says my Main backup server is out of date on the hyper-v integrations. Only problem is the main backup server is a virtual machine. So it will not let me update that component or let me remove that component. Anyone else have this issue?

Error it throws "Failed to upgrade host components. Error:'This server is not a hyper-v host'
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Upgrading Hyper-V intergrations (9.5 u4a)

Post by wishr »

Hi Leo,

Please reach out to our support team for a comprehensive investigation. Thank you.

BR,
Fedor
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

One thing you can do is run the hyper-v integrations component manually on that server. Please find VeeamHvIntegration.msi and VeeamTransport.msi in C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Packages on your backup server and run those. (Start with the Integration.msi first before you do Transport and see if the second one is still necessary. Not sure about that to be honest)

Thanks
Mike
Linking Informatica
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gian Maria Calzolari

Post by Linking Informatica »

leo.white wrote: Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm Error it throws "Failed to upgrade host components. Error:'This server is not a hyper-v host'
Hi Leo, did you manage to solve the problem? We are a reseller using an NFR for testing so we cannot open a ticket with the support...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Linking Informatica, did you try following the suggestion from Mike to resolve it?
Linking Informatica
Novice

Yes, same error: how can I install the HyperV integration since the software is installed onto a virtual machine?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I have reviewed OP's case number, the solution was to remove an internal ID (unique in each installation) via SQL script of the backup component reporting this problem. VeeamHvIntegration.msi should not and cannot be installed in a VM, that's why you see this error. Since you cannot open a support ticket, then I'm afraid a complete re-install is a way to go.
Linking Informatica
Novice

Well, I do understand you point of view... but since you do know the solution it would be kind to share it...
Thank you and Best Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I'd love to share it, but it is not possible to do over forums since the solution requires reviewing the database of your Veeam B&R server. Based on the results, someone has to write a correct SQL script to clean up duplicated/wrong IDs. Copy-pasting the script from OP's case would not help as each script is unique to every Veeam B&R server.
StyleTec
Lurker
Liked: 9 times

Post by StyleTec » 9 people like this post

So for everyone who is looking for a solution. Following did the trick for me.

First of all, manually update all correctly recognized components, like vPowerNFS.

Then open a SQL Server Management Studio, connecting to the Veeam database and open up the table "HostComponents" in edit mode. Searching for the wrong component - most likely this is the one with a lower version number and something like "HvIntegration" under options column - and deleting the entire row.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

Thanks Styletec!
That did the trick for my server too.
ochm
Service Provider
Full Name: Martin Och

Post by ochm » 1 person likes this post

StyleTec wrote: Oct 06, 2019 11:02 am So for everyone who is looking for a solution. Following did the trick for me.

First of all, manually update all correctly recognized components, like vPowerNFS.

Then open a SQL Server Management Studio, connecting to the Veeam database and open up the table "HostComponents" in edit mode. Searching for the wrong component - most likely this is the one with a lower version number and something like "HvIntegration" under options column - and deleting the entire row.
Perfect, it helped me too in upgrade from 9.5.4 to 11
Thank You.
arorris
Lurker
Full Name: Athanasios Rorris

Post by arorris » 1 person likes this post

StyleTec wrote: Oct 06, 2019 11:02 am So for everyone who is looking for a solution. Following did the trick for me.

I made an account just to post that this workaround, still works - I upgraded from 11 to 12 with this modification.

Thank you StyleTec.
Luciano.Glla
Lurker
Full Name: Luciano Gallina

Post by Luciano.Glla »

Hello,
Thanks for helping with this error,
I'm updating the version from 11.xx to 12.xx, and I'm having the same error, and I'm not able to locate the table via SQL Server Management Studio, if possible can you get a screenshot, with the path of the table?
Thanks,
keksbert
Novice

Post by keksbert »

I am also interested in a solution for v12 installations. I have to deal with the problem with each minor patch and would like to finally resolve this. Until now I have installed the Hyper-V role on the server and removed it after patching.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I have to deal with the problem with each minor patch and would like to finally resolve this
did you ever open a case to get that problem solved from Veeam side? If yes, can you please post the case numbers so that we can check?
gnarlynorris
Novice
Full Name: Gnarly Norris

Post by gnarlynorris »

Thank you. This was the solution for me as well. Upgraded from 11 to 12