Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
Aurock
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steve Whitcher

Use cases & benefits of Veeam Replica vs Hyper-V Replica?

Post by Aurock » Feb 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Can anyone recommend an article or other resource which compares and contrasts Veeam Replication vs the native Hyper-V replica functionality? I know the difference between the two has been asked here before, but I haven't found a good in-depth comparison of the two. I'm looking for something that explains the best use cases for each product, and the pros and cons of each. Also, something relatively current, as I assume that Hyper-V replica has probably seen some changes since Server 2012R2.

If you have any links to such a reference I'd appreciate you sharing.

Thanks!

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 487 times

Re: Use cases & benefits of Veeam Replica vs Hyper-V Replica?

Post by HannesK » Feb 08, 2019 9:15 am

Hello,
I don't have an article but some conversations in the past and the result was the following (I hope I did not forget anything, feel free to add things):

Pro-Hyper-V:
- lower RPO times (30 seconds)

Pro-Veeam
- file / application restores from replica snapshots
- more flexible scheduling options (30 seconds, 5 minutes, or 15 minutes are the only options in Hyper-V)
- easier failback (failover seems also easy in Hyper-V)
- performance of VM not permanently reduced due to background replication (only snapshot performance impact during snapshot replication)
- one UI / Reporting for backup and disaster recovery

So if you need to go to replications every 30 seconds, then Hyper-V replication is the way to go. For most other use cases, Veeam is the more comfortable / flexible way.

Best regards,
Hannes

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3519 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am

By far the biggest issue with Hyper-V replica is that it doubles storage I/O for each protected VM, when storage I/O is usually the most constrained resources in virtualization anyway. So, it's not really usable on a large scale.

nmdange
Expert
Liked: 113 times

Post by nmdange » Feb 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Another option could be to use Storage Replica on your Hyper-V hosts to replicate the entire CSV to your DR site, which allows real-time synchronous or asynchronous replication, if you need an even lower RPO than 30 seconds.

Aurock
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steve Whitcher

Post by Aurock » Feb 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I'm amazed that there hasn't been an article or whitepaper thoroughly contrasting the two products.

Hannes - I appreciate the detailed list.

Gostev - Doubling I/O on the primary hyper-v environment would definitely be a concern. I had read about that in an old post, but I thought it may have changed in the 5-6 years since.

Nmdange - While that might be a viable option for some, I don't think it's a good fit in our scenario.

If anyone has other input to share on the benefits of each product, please continue posting, I'd love to read it. I've got to present a recommendation to the boss soon, and any additional info I can use to make a decision and back it up would be very helpful.

ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Johnson

[MERGED] Veeam Replication vs Hyper-V vs Zerto

Post by ChrisJ83Knights » Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am

Hi

We are about to implement replication from a DC to one of our offices and we looking to utilise Veeam as we currently use it for backups.

Workloads included will be SQL, Exchange, AD, RDS and file servers.

Firstly is v10 going to bring any new replication features?

Is the only main advantage of Hyper-V replication over Veeam, the lower RPO time (30 seconds)?

From reading up Veeam should offer reduced I/O, file and application level restores from replica snapshots

We looked into Zerto and that seemed to be generally regarded as the best of breed for replication software, is Veeam that far behind?

Any feedback appreciated.

DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 221 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Replication vs Hyper-V vs Zerto

Post by DGrinev » Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi,

Please review the existing discussion above. Thanks!