Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Veeam 10 Standard - No explorer anymore with FLR?

Post by RGijsen »

Hi,
before opening a case, I'd like to check if I'm nuts or something else is going on. We have Veeam B&R Standard. Ever since we moved to Veeam 10, when I start a File Level Restore, I can't select a folder and click 'Explorer' anymore. It's just greyed out. I can do the restores, but only through the Veeam GUI, which sometimes is not as nice as just using explorer. This happens when we use the Veeam console from a remote (management) machine, which we've always done. When we use the Veeam console on the backup server itself, it works fine.

Anyone else seeing this?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam 10 Standard - No explorer anymore with FLR?

Post by Dima P. »

RGijsen,

Since that's a remote console there is not access to the VeeamFLR folder which is created at the mount host of the repository, so it's impossible to start a regular Windows explorer to browse the folder. Cheers!
RGijsen
Expert

Post by RGijsen »

Why would that have been changed? We have always been very restrictive with direct access to the backup server itself, but we've always been able to use FLR in Explorer views. It always mapped the VeeamFLR folder on the machine where we opened the console. Actually, our monitoring always gave a 0-bytes free warning when we did FLR on a remote machine, as on that machine a volume (or maybe VHDX) is mounted which is a read-only volume, which is reported to out monitoring as one with 0 bytes free.
Since V10, the FLR mount is done on the backup server itself. Why did that behavior change, and can we revert that with a setting somewhere?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

There is a "Mount to console" option on ribbon, when you select root name object(machine name)\objects in the tree on the left side in Veeam File Level restore GUI.
/Cheers!
RGijsen
Expert

Post by RGijsen »

Indeed, yesterday I got reply from the ticket I raised for this, and indeed there is a 'mount to console' button. I don't know why I didn't notice that big button. I read the what's new and the release-notes, but obviously this wasn't mentioned. Anyway, it's working now after I press that button.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Glad it sorted out and thanks for update!
/Cheers!