Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
HBO1409
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hagen Bogner

Veeam B & R v9.5 U4b use Sockes / Instances licenses on one server

Post by HBO1409 »

Hello everybody,

we currently have 8 socket licenses and 20 instance licenses.
If I want to back up a Hyper-V server on a host outside the socket licenses, I get the message I do not have enough licenses. Why can I not backup any single virtual machine with the Instances license? I have tested it on a test server if the socket licenses are not registered but only the instances licenses it works. Then the individual servers are backed up as a virtual Hyper-V machine. I can only use Sockes and Instances to back up virtual Hyper-V on socket licenses server, physical or virtual machines as physical servers with the instances license. I will use only one server with Sockes and Instances licenses for backup all virtual Hyper-V servers in the same way. Can me someone explain this?
The support and also the license department could not offer me a solution. Does anyone have the problem?

Excuse my way of speaking, I'm not a native speaker. :wink:

Greetings Bogner
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Veeam B & R v9.5 U4b use Sockes / Instances licenses on one server

Post by wishr »

Hello,

Whats is your support case ID regarding this difficulty?

Thanks
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

Hello Mr. Maslov,

the support case is back for a while: Case # 03611362
We escalated the problem through our partner and Veeam support. The mistake we noticed after the procurement and I had the hope that the problem will be fixed with the updates. The statement was that the licensing was changed and it may be fixed in an update. As a workaround we were recommended to work with two servers with separate licenses socket and instance. Alternatively we could use the way over the backup as a physical server or buy socket licenses for all servers. We chose two servers so we could use the virtual machine backup features. We are currently backing up individual servers on multiple hosts, which a socket license does profitable.
Do you have a better workaround or can you fix the problem in other ways, so we can finally consolidate the servers?

Greetings Bogner
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Thank you.

The case you mentioned has been closed due to no response from your end. Please try merging your licenses as recommended here and install it to the required server.
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

Hello Mr. Maslov,
Thanks for the tip, I do not want to change the licenses. We want to use socket licenses for our Hyper-V cluster and one Hyper-V server and backup 10 virtual servers on 4 different Hyper-V hosts (via instance license). All should be backed up via the Hyper-V host without agent (physical server backup). Why can not this be done?
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

I have the licenses merged as described by you. A backup on one of the Hyper-V servers that does not have a socket license is not possible without an agent. Each job will fail with the message there are no licenses are available. It is not possible, the Hyper-V virtual machines to backupen as I in a socket licensed server can.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

I removed my previous comment because it was incorrect - I apologize.

The behavior you are explaining is by design. Please refer here for details.

Thanks
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

Thanks for the feedback.
Why was this restriction built in? Are you planning to fix this restriction? If you plan to change this restriction, when can I expect it? The scenario I have described is nothing special, but for us it is a point in Veeam that makes us a problem in the long term. Veeam is a great product this restriction is not acceptable for my feelings and should be corrected as soon as possible by an update.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Good evening,

We are not planning to change it due to the impact it could cause to the customers. Please check this post by Gostev for details.

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Right. Current pricing for VM processing with both Sockets and Instances is designed around industry-average VM density. Allowing to mix and match these two license types to different parts of the same environment would require pricing to be increased, for Veeam to maintain profitability.
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

I can understand that, but it's a problem if I only need to back up 2 clients from a Hyper-V environment. In our case, 2 virtual machines each from 5 different Hyper-V hosts. Either I renounce the functions that a Veeam backup for virtual machines delivers. Or I have to operate 2 different servers. For a tape backup I have to operate 2 tape library and for the offside backup I have to operate 2 servers externally. The whole results for me, more costs that I have to justify, or would justify a higher price of Veeam. The workload of the administration I have left out here. Are there really so many customers who have the same requirements? If so, Veeam might think about finding an alternative here. For example, a toll for merge the licenses.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

An instance-based license should perfectly fit your needs especially keeping in mind the aforementioned license conversion costs.
HBO1409
Novice

Post by HBO1409 »

Unfortunately that's not true, we use a Hyper-V cluster with about 100 servers running and the number is increasing, for which we need the socket licenses. In addition, we have five individual Hyper-V servers that each have two "productive" servers we need to back up. Unfortunately we are falling through the grid at Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

But this is exactly what I called "mixing and matching": using socket license for VMs on high-density hosts, and using instance license for VMs on low-density hosts. The problem with that is our current Socket and Instance prices do not allow for this, since both are calculated off of industry-average VM per socket density. Being able to match licenses to individual hosts takes that away, thus directly impacting our profitability and preventing us from meeting our budget. Making it purely a long-term Veeam sustainability issue.

However, let's not be too quick with "it's not true" regarding conversion of your socket license to an instance license. How about we calculate this together, to be sure you're not missing something. Can you share the total number of Hyper-V host sockets you have across your Hyper-V cluster and those 5 individual Hyper-V hosts? Thanks!
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Based on what's in this thread I believe there are eight sockets + 100 VMs in the primary H-V environment, then another 10 VMs across four standalone hosts.

Joe