Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Veeam deployment for two DataCenters

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

just to be sure I would like to ask you if there are any cons if we would have DataCenter#1 and DataCenter#2 (DR) and if I will create a separate job for Replica and separate job for backup and backup copy like on the picture. I know if I will not use replica from backup job I will transfer more data but anyway are there any other cons?

Thank you!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam deployment for two DataCenters

Post by PetrM » 2 people like this post

Hello,

Everything is good except backup server location: the best practice is to have it in DR site to avoid the necessity to restore the backup server prior failover in case of disaster on production site.

Thanks!
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hello Petr,

my concern is to have primary backup storage and secondary backup storage on the same location but maybe I can switch the backup server (primary backup storage) with the linux hardened repository (secondary backup storage) and do first backup on hardened repository and duplicate it to backup server storage but than I would need to use the hyper-v nodes also to move backups from hardened repo to DR site or do you have some another idea please?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

This is a valid concern. You can deploy Windows repository with primary storage on the production site and duplicate backups to the secondary storage. The whole process including backups to the primary storage, backup copies and replication jobs can be orchestrated by Veeam server from the DR site, for instance you can install Veeam on VM on the DR site.

Thanks!