Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
_james
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Veeam design for FC StoreOnce

Post by _james »

Hello Everyone

I have trouble going over solution design for HyperV backup to HPE StoreOnce repository via Fibre Channel.

When using StoreOnce Veeam requires 2 additional components - Proxy and Gateway. As per Veeam information it is okay to install both components on the same server.
My question is - can Proxy/Gateway server be virtual? Is it possible to virtualize it and connect it to StoreOnce via virtual SAN switches (from HyperV side)?

Best regards
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1420 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam design for FC StoreOnce

Post by Andreas Neufert »

In Hyper-V there are OnHost proxies and Off-Host proxies and they read from Hyper-V the data that you want to backup.

Off-Host proxies need the primary storage integrated in Hyper-V with a Hardware VSS Provider from the storage (nothing to do with Veeam, we will just use the APIs to trigger snapshots there). You need then as well a physical Proxy Server that has the Hardware VSS provider present and configured. It is a bit of a complex topic that has dependencies on storage software version, hyper-v version and VSS provider versions. It does NOT work as virtual VMs.

OnHost Proxies use the Hyper-V host itself to read the data and compress the backups. This is I would say the standard in the Hyper-V world. Again no VM usage possible.

For the Repository Gateway Server that connects through TCP or FC to the storage, you need to ask HPE if they support virtual VM FC passthrough to Hyper-V VMs. If it is supported by HPE and configured correctly, we would just work with it. StoreOnce over FC has the lower performance compared with TCP network usage (not Veeam, just plain HPE setup), so I would in your case go with a virtual proxy that connects through TCP to the storage. Invest the money you would have used for FC into fast network infrastructure.
_james
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Veeam design for FC StoreOnce

Post by _james »

Thank you @Andreas Neufert for the swift reply.
This clarifies my question.

It is tricky because FC is already in place for all the components, I'll see what I can do with TCP.