Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Desing

Post by Ultra_Cool »

If I have a client with one Hyper-V and 2 VM's in it what should I need to have? Is it enough with one veeam server on Hyper-V 2012 -hyper-v to backup and replicate VM's? Can someone explatin what does Offhost backup proxy do? When should I have one and is it needed?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Desing

Post by veremin »

If I have a client with one Hyper-V and 2 VM's in it what should I need to have?
Yep, it’s possible to install VB&R server either on source Hyper-V host or on any VMs that reside on that host.
it enough with one veeam server on Hyper-V 2012 -hyper-v to backup and replicate VM's?
In order to replicate your VMs you’ll need to have an additional Hyper-V host, since only a host can be chosen as a target for replication jobs.
Can someone explatin what does Offhost backup proxy do?
The on-host proxy means that all of necessary VM processing operations will be performed directly on the source Hyper-V host. While off-host one allows you to take this workload away to a dedicated physical machine (“offhost proxy”).
When should I have one and is it needed?
Under certain circumstances, usage of onhost proxy may result in CPU/network overhead. So, if you see CPU or network being highly saturated, it’s a high time for you to think about offhost proxy utilization.

More detailed information can be found in the corresponding user guide (p. 26).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi Eremin,
Thank you for your reply. Scenario is like this: I want to have one main Veeam server on Windows server 2012 with Hyper-V role and I want to protect for example 3 different clients. Everything is clear there but that offhost proxy is my replica server or? When I start replication my offhost will be replica server and there will be VM replica. I dont need to have one offhost proxy and additional hyper-v for VM replica?
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

And where should I place offhost proxy? In my building or it should be in clients office?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Everything is clear there but that offhost proxy is my replica server or?
It’s up to you to decide what server will play the offhost proxy role. Note: OS version of source server and offhost proxy should be the same (2012, in your case).
When I start replication my offhost will be replica server and there will be VM replica.
While configuring replication job, you’ll be asked about what backup proxy you’re going to use (offhost or onhost). By default, it’s onhost one.

Anyway, I still strongly recommend you to take a look at the corresponding user guide, as well as, hyper-v section of this forum in order to understand better the offhost proxy mechanism.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Thank You Eremin
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You’re welcome.

Should any additional help be needed, don’t hesitate to contact us. Thanks.