Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ultra_Cool
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Veeam Issue and Questions

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi,
I have tried to start replication on one of my test DC. I run into following error: Veeam Index was outside the bounds of the array. Error: Task failed because of error in the initial backup pass. I could not find info on how to fix this. Only info what i found is for VMware (http://www.veeam.com/kb1308) and I am using windows server 2012.

Second: Can I recovery primary veeam server from replica server?
Can I export VM and import it to Veeam and start backup and vice versa from veeam backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Issue and Questions

Post by foggy »

Ultra_Cool wrote:I have tried to start replication on one of my test DC. I run into following error: Veeam Index was outside the bounds of the array. Error: Task failed because of error in the initial backup pass. I could not find info on how to fix this. Only info what i found is for VMware (http://www.veeam.com/kb1308) and I am using windows server 2012.
With all technical issues, please contact technical support directly.
Ultra_Cool wrote:Second: Can I recovery primary veeam server from replica server?
Do you mean you need to restore Veeam B&R configuration from Veeam B&R VM replica? Then you can temporarily turn replica VM on, perform Veeam B&R configuration backup and then restore it to the required server.
Ultra_Cool wrote:Can I export VM and import it to Veeam and start backup and vice versa from veeam backup?
Not sure I understand what do you mean here, could you please elaborate on this?
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Hi Foggy,
1. If my primary Veeam crash and I have only replica server. Can I restore backups from replica server to Veeam when I rebulid it?
2. Can I export VM from Hyper-v and import it to Veeam backup. Our clients have VM which are 200-500 GB large and it is impossible to transfer all over network.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ultra_Cool wrote: 1. If my primary Veeam crash and I have only replica server. Can I restore backups from replica server to Veeam when I rebulid it?
You can import backup files into rebuilt backup server, if this is what you are talking about.
Ultra_Cool wrote:2. Can I export VM from Hyper-v and import it to Veeam backup. Our clients have VM which are 200-500 GB large and it is impossible to transfer all over network.
You can seed this VM by backing it up locally first and then copying the backup file to the remote repository.
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

To make it simple. I have one Veeam B&R and one Replica server. If my veeam b&r crash can I restore backup to the Veeam B&R (from replica) after re-build?

2 question was about backing up 500 GB VM. What you mean with seed. Seed is only for minimize the amont of traffic on WAN/LAN links and to not transfer all of VM data from source to target. I can't take backup directly from Veeam on machine which is 500 GB large. It should take a week. How to fix this on best way?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Ultra_Cool wrote:To make it simple. I have one Veeam B&R and one Replica server. If my veeam b&r crash can I restore backup to the Veeam B&R (from replica) after re-build?
Once again, if you are storing backup files on your Veeam server (i.e. Veeam server is also your backup repository) and want to be able to restore them from replica VM after your original Veeam server crashes, you can manually turn replica VM on, copy your backup files to rebuilt Veeam server, and import them into Veeam B&R console. If you are talking about Veeam B&R configuration (including all the jobs and their data), then this can be done with the help of configuration backup feature.
Ultra_Cool wrote: 2 question was about backing up 500 GB VM. What you mean with seed. Seed is only for minimize the amont of traffic on WAN/LAN links and to not transfer all of VM data from source to target. I can't take backup directly from Veeam on machine which is 500 GB large. It should take a week. How to fix this on best way?
By seeding I mean taking the local backup of a VM to a remote site manually (move the device with the backup to a remote site) and then mapping the remote job to this backup. This is how it is usually handled in case of slow links between the sites. If Veeam B&R is installed in the remote site only, you can use VeeamZIP to create local backup in the source site for that.

If that is not what you are after, I apologize for not getting you. Probably you could re-phrase your questions somehow for better understanding. Thanks.
Ultra_Cool
Expert

Post by Ultra_Cool »

Now it's clear ;) Thank You Foggy