Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mutantcarrot
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mick

Veeam licensing for Community Edition: multiple backup servers

Post by mutantcarrot »

We have 16 hyper V vms onsite spread between 2 servers - 10 on one server 6 on another. Currently we back these up nightly to a SAN (iSCSI) and a NAS (iSCSI) - both servers back up to both destinations. I am looking at the community version of veeam as a possible replacement for our current backup (which does work but I like the look of veeam).

My query is, are you allowed to install community edition on two servers if the two versions operate independently? I do not need "one pane of glass" to manage the two servers, I am happy to admin two instances of veeam. I would also need the independent versions to back up to two destinations.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam licensing for Community Edition: multiple backup servers

Post by Gostev »

From your description it sounds like those 16 Hyper-V VMs are a part of the same Source infrastructure that you call "onsite". If so, then using two Community Edition (CE) servers is prohibited per Veeam Licensing Policy (see the last sentence in paragraph 1.15). CE license is limited to 10 instances, and by deploying two CE servers to protect your "onsite" infrastructure, you're sharing the same Source infrastructure between different licenses. Thanks!
mutantcarrot
Lurker
Full Name: Mick

Post by mutantcarrot »

perfect. Thank you.
a1exxandr0
Lurker

Post by a1exxandr0 »

Hello.
We have another situation.We have some separate hosts with 3-6 vms on every of it. Sum it is more than 10 vms. But there is no crossing/confluence between this hosts.
There are separate sites, sepearate repositories for every Hyper-v host.
1. Could we use Community Edition for every hory host sepparately?
2. If 1. - No. Сould we use 2 or 3 separate instalattion of Community Edition to protect no more than 10 virtual machines in total?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello a1exxandr0,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!

1. Yes, you may use a single installation of CE to protect up to 10 VMs residing at any hosts.
2. No - see the comment by Gostev above and licensing policy for details.

Thanks!