Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Schnuecker
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam licensing

Post by Schnuecker »

So i tested around with the community edition the last days.

And saw if i do file backup job, i need to add individual computers which takes 3 instances out of my 10.

So i got now two servers which are running Hyper-V with VMs, where i most do Volume Backup Jobs and File Backup jobs of these.
Both servers has two cpu sockets. What does that mean to me if i want now more File Backup jobs with new VMs?

Do i need to buy two B&R Sockets license or only one for my main Hyper-v Server where the B&R Server runs?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam licensing

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

If you want to protect VMs with native Hyper-V APIs (not via Agents as you're protecting hosts now), you would need to add these VMs to the Hyper-V backup job. Protected VMs will consume the remaining built-in instances you have (up to 10).

Thank you!
Schnuecker
Influencer

Post by Schnuecker »

So i cant backup only files from the VMs without using up 3 instances? Only if the job is managed by Agent, and one instance get used up by applying the policy ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

So i cant backup only files from the VMs without using up 3 instances?
Yes, file-based backup (via Agent) consumes instances (either 3 or 1, depending on the backup mode).
Only if the job is managed by Agent, and one instance get used up by applying the policy ?
I'm talking about not Agents, but a Hyper-V VM backup engine ( VM image-based backup). But you can also use the agent-based backup to protected these VMs by applying a backup policy. Both configurations will consume 1 instance per VM.
Schnuecker
Influencer

Post by Schnuecker »

Thanks, thats sad and understandable, so if i deploy them by agent and has the notification on the B&R but not on the agent policy, does i get still mails if the backup failures?
Or do i need to enable each agent those setting?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can set notifications globally over here: Notification Settings for Backup Policy
Schnuecker
Influencer

Post by Schnuecker »

I see, thanks