Veeam Oracle Explorer technical steps?

Hyper-V specific discussions

Veeam Oracle Explorer technical steps?

Veeam Logoby sertel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi,

I would like to know that what is the exact steps for backup and restore processes during these tasks. We have veeam v9 and took a successful backup with Veeam Oracle explorer but I want to know the whole process for Oracle side.

Does veeam take datafiles to hot backup mode(alter database begin backup) for backup operation or use RMAN?

Best Regards.
sertel
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Veeam Oracle Explorer technical steps?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi, please review the corresponding user guide section and information available on this web page and feel free to ask any additional questions. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby sertel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi, I have already review all of the user guides but I cannot see any technical information about Oracle based steps, there is no Rman or any other backup script solution on there.
sertel
Novice

Veeam Logoby sertel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 pm

I have to be sure that Veeam is using this Oracle backup/restore solution these steps and ...
sertel
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Are you looking for general steps description (something like this) or more for particular commands issued during specific stage? We're not relying on RMAN, by the way. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby sertel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi Eremin, I am exactly looking for particular commands/steps issued during backup and restore oparetions individually. For example I think that veeam run "alter database begin backup" command on db layer before getting image backup of the server. So I am not sure about the steps so in order to understand the whole mechanism I have to be make guesses.
sertel
Novice

Veeam Logoby sertel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Also please review the link below, it mentions about RMAN for recovery operation.

Veeam Explorer for Oracle opens a database directly from the compressed, deduplicated Veeam backup file, and by leveraging RMAN, provides flexible recovery options for:
Database recovery to the state stored in an image-level backup
Point-in-time database recovery via transaction log replay
Transaction-level recovery via transaction log review

https://www.veeam.com/oracle-backup-rec ... lorer.html
sertel
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 pm 2 people like this post

We cannot disclose the entire process, but basically, Veeam B&R uses either VSS or RMAN and acts in accordance with Oracle recommendations, switching databases that are in ARCHIVELOG mode to backup state and shutting down databases that are in NOARCHIVELOG mode. If you have any particular concerns, we can try to clarify them.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby sertel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:41 am

Thank you for the clarification. I understood the actions and the technical steps for backup side, now everthing is clear on my side. But in Veeam's official link there is an information about using RMAN for restore operations. I know that if you backup a system without RMAN tool, you cannot restore this backup piece with RMAN. So what is the RMAN's role for restore operation according to Veeam official link?

Veeam Explorer for Oracle opens a database directly from the compressed, deduplicated Veeam backup file, and by leveraging RMAN, provides flexible recovery options

https://www.veeam.com/oracle-backup-rec ... lorer.html
sertel
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Veeam utilizes RMAN to perform restore operations. It communicates database file paths and other necessary information to RMAN that performs actual restore.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby sertel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.
sertel
Novice

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V