Vss error: 0x800423f4

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: Vss error: 0x800423f4

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:15 am

Do you have the same issue for all VMs on the host or for some specific ones? Try to look at other VSS related errors in the Windows Event log, maybe they would be more descriptive than the last one.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Jacv » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 am 2 people like this post

I was pulling my hair out with this error for last 3 weeks but managed to fix it last night. I couldn't recreate it consistently as an occasional test restore would just work while others wouldn't - no change to either host or guest so very frustrating. Quite often doing a snapshot of the VM in HyperV manager would allow Veeam to work but deleting that snapshot would fail again - not a long term solution. Veeam support suggested that so that really eased the pressure of no backups.

Host-HyperV 2012R2
Guest-SBS 2011

On the SBS guest, I had VSS error after running following diskshadow commands on system disk (100MB system reserved and 300GB C: partition). Shadow copy snapshots were working on each drive so I didn't think to check diskshadow.

C:\Users\administrator.hosch>diskshadow
Microsoft DiskShadow version 1.0
Copyright (C) 2007 Microsoft Corporation
On computer: SERVER01, 6/04/2016 6:57:34 PM

DISKSHADOW> begin backup

DISKSHADOW> add volume c:

DISKSHADOW> create

COM call "m_pVssBackup->AddToSnapshotSet" failed.

The last operation failed.
- Returned HRESULT: 8004230f
- Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR

DISKSHADOW> end backup

I saw that it was a COM call failure so I restarted "Com+ Event System" service on the guest which restarted about 8 or so services (DHCP server,etc). I then restarted "HyperV volume shadow copy requester" and "volume shadow copy" services. Re-running the diskshadow command then worked fine but the Veeam App aware backup still failed.

On a whim, I tried restarting those 3 services again and not running the diskshadow commands, just the Veeam backup and it worked!

That was last night and it's done 3 backups since.

I really feel for anyone with this error and I can see how there are probably a hundred causes but maybe it can save someone the hours I spent.
Jacv
Novice

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Daithi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:09 pm 1 person likes this post

I had similar issues but only when I had "Allow processing of multiple VMs" ticked. When I unticked this my backups worked fine. Just a suggestion for anyone in similar boat.
Daithi
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby pdef » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:12 am

Update:

I'm still having the same issue. I'm working on this with Veeam and Microsoft Support but we were not able to find any long-term solution yet.

Its a fact that the Backup is able to run successful for few days if the VSS Service has been restarted on the Guest VM. But nevertheless, Error is reoccuring on all of our subsidiary/branch offices.

We have a total of 6 Veeam Installations: 3 of them are using Hyper-V Host and the other 3 are vmWare Clusters. All of the Hyper-V installations are having the same issue since 8 weeks..

Its very frustrating at this time.
pdef
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Jacv » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:22 am 1 person likes this post

Just to update my post from two weeks ago; backups are still working and no more errors.

Can not explain the sudden failure and then back to consistent success after those service restarts...VSS I guess :?
Jacv
Novice

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Daithi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:00 am

I was getting similar VSS errors now.
Had to restart my VM and move it to another node before Veeam would back it up. Very annoying. I can create snapshots of the VM with no issues on the host itself.
Daithi
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Daithi wrote:I can create snapshots of the VM with no issues on the host itself.

This might not be enough, as VSS snapshot (volume-level) is also triggered by a backup job.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V