Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jaseliu
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Liu

Weird problem with Veeam Checkpoint locking up server's drive

Post by jaseliu »

New Case #04452271 Just opened, because the issue is back again.
Old case ID: #02222891 Closed, because the issue sort of went away.

Env: MS 2019 Hyper-V Cluster.

I've been having this weird issue with Veeam V10. My backup has been running for a while on V9.5 without any issue, but after upgrading to V10, I started to see this.

Basically, Veeam would keep on creating Checkpoints, not just one, but many of them, one after another, impacting the storage performance.

For example:

I did not know that's going on until the user report slowness, then upon taking a look, that is what I discovered.
Worked with a tech and he remoted in to take a look at the backup/server environment, and he didn't see anything that would cause this.
The problem sort of went away when I moved all my VMs from one node to another, and I didn't see it happens again, so I thought it must be my node.

Yet the problem came back again on my second node. I would see it created Recovery Checkpoints and it would just be there, and not deleted.
The primary issue that I have is not the Checkpoints that it created but with locking up my drive. As it's backing up one of my big file server, it would locked up the drive access, therefore causing user to disconnect and inaccessible.

Originally, because I have file indexing enabled, the tech say that would cause the drive lock up, but even after I unchecked that option, it's still doing it.

The drive doesn't locked up right away as the backup is going, I would check, and it's still accessible, but I don't know what would cause it to lock, because the next moment I checked, the driver letter is gone and inaccessible.

Really puzzled on what would caused this, as there is no clear indication at all. Anyone have any similar experience?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Weird problem with Veeam Checkpoint locking up server's drive

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Please don't hesitate to escalate the case if you feel that deeper technical investigation is required, it's not something that we can easily fix over forum posts because the described behavior does not seem to be obvious.

Thanks!
jaseliu
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Liu

Re: Weird problem with Veeam Checkpoint locking up server's drive

Post by jaseliu » 1 person likes this post

Got it. I will escalate this. Thank you.