Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rabecker
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ralf Becker

When will Veeam Hyper-V Backup HP 3PAR snapshots available?

Post by rabecker »

Hi all,
I recognized hardware snapshots with Veeam are possible with VMWare and 3PAR StoreServ. When will this Veeam feature available for Hyper-V and 3PAR StoreServ snapshots ?
Regards Ralf
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: When will Veeam Hyper-V Backup HP 3PAR snapshots availab

Post by foggy »

Ralf, we’re already leveraging storage snapshots in case of Hyper-V (consider offhost backup using VSS hardware providers). Here's a bit more on that.
rabecker
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ralf Becker

Post by rabecker »

Hi Alexander,thanks for your reply, but looking at the link you provided does not answer my question totally. The question for me is not using snapshots or Veeam, but would Like to see Veeam creating the Hyper-V snapshots on the 3par storserv, mounting it to the backup Server and backuping the data to disk, so a fully integrated solution. Are you supporting this solution ? Best regards Ralf
Wolfraider
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Travis Garrison

Post by Wolfraider » 1 person likes this post

Look into the off-host proxy. We currently use it for our Hyper-V boxes and 3Par SAN. Veeam will start off a backup, create a snapshot on the 3Par SAN using hardware VSS, mount the snapshot on the backup proxy and backing up to disk. This method can also be application aware backups. It works great and it keeps all backup traffic inside our fibrechannel environment and off the IP side.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Hyper-V has its native integration with storage snapshots via hardware VSS and Veeam B&R utilizes it with the help of offhost proxies (making what you're asking for possible).