Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
bkruczek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bernd Kruczek

Windows 10

Post by bkruczek »

VEEAM Backup and Replication 8.0 has Problems to detect a Windows 10 Hyper-V Host. The Errors are:

failed to create a persistent Connection to ADMIN$ share Folder on host <ip>
failed to install Service [Veeam Deploymnet Service] was not installed on the host [ip]

Installation was without Errors, the credentials for the Hyper V Host are correct.

B.K
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Windows 10

Post by alanbolte »

Windows 10 is not supported as a platform for B&R 8.0. That you for letting us know what happens when you try anyway; I'm glad to know that we merely fail to install any services instead of doing something more damaging to the Hyper-V host.
bkruczek
Influencer

Post by bkruczek »

So, when will we have a supported Version?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

No exact ETA, but probably in 6 to 8 weeks.
bkruczek
Influencer

Post by bkruczek »

6 to 8 Weeks? Are you kidding?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Veeam VP Anton Gostev also mentioned it in his weekly digest.
Gostev wrote:Windows 10 will be supported in Veeam Endpoint Backup starting from version 1.1 (August), and in Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 starting from Update 3 (September).
It may happen a bit earlier, though.
Just curious what was your motivation to update your system right after the Windows 10 release?
Thanks!
bkruczek
Influencer

Post by bkruczek »

I have been a member of the insider program and KNOW therefore that the OS is stable and all my applications run on it, except VEEAM
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply.
Hope we will release the update soon.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Double-checked plans with developers, upcoming Update 3 should support backup of VMs running Windows 10 OS, as well as use machines running Win10 as backup proxy and repository.
Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

bkruczek wrote:VEEAM Backup and Replication 8.0 has Problems to detect a Windows 10 Hyper-V Host
Please note that we do NOT support Hyper-V on non-server OS at all, so support for Windows 10 Hyper-V is NOT coming with the Update 3. Here is the existing discussion > Windows 8 Hyper-V
mxx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mxx »

Hi,

I'm not that familiar with Hyper-V yet, but from what I've seen a VM from a standalone hyper-v server can be imported into a hyper-v running on a desktop OS.

I'd just like to make sure: would it be possible to use a Hyper-V on Windows 10 to power up a VM backed up via VB&R?

If the client had only 1 physical server running Hyper-V, it would be great -in case of a hardware failure- to be able to run a backed up VM on a desktop os hyper-v until the "proper" hyper-v host is repaired.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'd just like to make sure: would it be possible to use a Hyper-V on Windows 10 to power up a VM backed up via VB&R?
It won't be possible. Thanks.
mxx
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mxx »

Hmmm... but why if hyperv vms generally can be powered up on a desktop os hyperv?

I'm not asking to integrate a Windows 10 hyperv into veeam (in case there's a misunderstanding).

If I export the vm files from a veeam backup they cannot be used to power up that vm on a win10 hyperv?

This is only of interest for a very small deployment to have an option in case of a disaster when the 1 and only server goes down.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

To the best of my knowledge it won't be possible due to the differences in Hyper-V implementations. And we generally do not support such scenario.

Though, of course there is nothing preventing you from testing it yourself and seeing the results.

Thanks.
ccclapp
Lurker
Full Name: Caleb C Clapp

[MERGED] Add Win10 Host for Hyper-V Not Possible??

Post by ccclapp »

I am testing B&R and Agents for our small company with two locations. I would like to test Instant Recovery at a home office location on a Win 10 PC to restore Agent backed up PCs. I have enabled Hyper-V and can run VMs on the Win 10 PC. However it appears that B&R will not allow a Win 10 host to be added (tech support believes one must use a Server OS on the host for B&R to accept the host). I am asking here in case anyone has been able to make this work.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Caleb and welcome to the community!
Indeed Hyper-V over Win 10 is not supported by VBR. More of explanation and opinions here.
Thanks!
savanozian
Lurker
Full Name: Stephan Avanozian

[MERGED] VBR backups of Hyper-V VMs on a Windows 10 Pro host

Post by savanozian »

Hello,

To the Veeam Dev team: Will Veeam be adding the ability within VBR to backup Hyper-V VMs on a **Windows 10 Pro host** with the Hyper-V role installed? Currently it requires the Veeam Agent for Windows, but will Win10 hosts eventually be supported in VBR?

To the Veeam community: Are there many others out there running Hyper-V on Win10 Pro, say in a lab environment?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stephan, currently there are no short-term plans to add support for Hyper-V role running on the Windows 10 OS. Thanks for your feedback though.
baselalkaddoumi
Lurker
Full Name: Basel Alkaddoumi

Post by baselalkaddoumi »

Hello ,

any solution for B&R 9.5 to detect hyper-v that installed on windows 10 as hyper-v server ?

regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No solution, Windows 10 hypervisor is not supported..
Jabi
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

[MERGED] Backup windows 10 PC with a VM

Post by Jabi »

Hello,

We do have Veeam B&R 9.5. update 3

Besides the Server i have a client (windows 10) with 1 Hyper_V VM

B&R wont let me add the Windows 10 Hyper V Host because:
Infrastructure Item save failed Error, Windows 10 is not supported …
any ideas how to back up the windows 10 pc so i can perform item levl recovery of the vm ?

thanks in advance
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Backup windows 10 PC with a VM

Post by Regnor » 2 people like this post

As Windows 10 isn't supported as a Hypervisor you can only use Veeam agent and directly backup from inside the VM.
mkarl
Lurker
Full Name: M. Karl

[MERGED] Community Edition on Windows 10 (1809) Hyper-V Role?

Post by mkarl »

Hello there,

i've installed a fresh Windows 10 Pro 1809 with Hyper-V enabled.
On this HV-Host i put the B&R 9.5u4 in Community-Mode.
Bound successfully to my Synology-Repo via SMB and now i want to configure a job and added the machine itself (localhost) as a managed server with no errors.
But when i try to create a new job, i dont see any Host or VMs that i can select for that job.

Is Windows 10 Hyper-V not supported? Have i use a Windows Server OS (2016/2019) to use this community Edition?

Thanks in Advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, client OS Hyper-V is only supported for instant VM recovery, but not for backing up VMs.

Thank you!
Mirko
Lurker
Full Name: Mirko Meoni

[MERGED] Replicate a VM from Hyper-V Windows Server 2019 to a Windows 10 Hyper-v

Post by Mirko »

Hi,
to create a replica of a production environment I want to replicate a couple of virtual machines from our host running Windows Server 2019 Hyper-v to a client computer running Windows 10 Hyper-v
Host 2019 is already backed up and replicated (on another 2019) with Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5u4b

Is this possible ?

In case, I can also use the "Network remapping" and "Replica re-IP" to create a disaster recovery site within Windows 10 Hyper-v?

Has anyone used this configuration?
It seems like a quick way to build a test environment, in this case I try to avoid buying a full Windows Server license (and have the limit involved in using a server operating system as a daily workstation).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hyper-V role running on Windows 10 is not supported apart from the Instant VM recovery feature. So if you need a mirror of your production, then a server license will be required. Thanks!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

You can also use the free Hyper-V Server edition, as long as you are ok with it being server core.
Mirko
Lurker
Full Name: Mirko Meoni

Post by Mirko »

Ok, thanks.
Edgar
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Standalone Host doesn't appear as an object for a backup

Post by Edgar »

Hi,

I just added a Hyper-V (Standalone) server, and I see it in "Backup Infrastructure" but it doesn't appear in my inventory. So I can't see the virtual machines on this server, nor select it as host for a backup or restore.
I don't know if this is useful information but it's just a Windows 10 machine with the Hyper-V role on it, with two virtual machines.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before?
Thank you!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Standalone Host doesn't appear as an object for a backup

Post by wishr »

Hi Edgar,

Unfortunately, we do not support Windows 10 with the Hyper-V role as a hypervisor. Only the Windows Server family is supported. I'm merging your question with a related thread - please take a brief look for additional information.

Thanks