Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Yes, Anton's post above is still valid.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Windows 8 Hyper-V

Veeam Logoby Skakke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Still valid?? No support for the Hypervisor in Windows 8/8.1?
Skakke
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Jakob Raaskou Skakke

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Yes, no changes in Hyper-V versions supported.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Skakke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:18 pm

What about future releases. Any plans to support this?
Skakke
Lurker

Full Name: Jakob Raaskou Skakke

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Depending on the number of feature requests for this functionality, it may come, though in our next major release it will not be available.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AndrewTFinnell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:44 am

I vote to support Windows 8.x Hyper-V as well.

From what I can tell the Sever edition doesn't have any features that the 8.x version doesn't that would impact Veeam unless Veeam relies on some form of Live Migration to do Live backups.

It seems the issue here is the QA Grid would greatly increase by adding another OS to the testing procedures. Is it possible to release an unsupport version of the Backup software that has the OS check disabled? If there are truly features missing on Windows 8.x that would require extra work on the software then I understand the low priority of this feature. However, if it's just to reduce the QA grid then it might prove beneficial to customers if a version was released without that check.

Andrew
AndrewTFinnell
Lurker

Full Name: Andrew T. Finnell

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 am

Hi Andrew,

Can you please tell me a bit more on why you prefer Windows 8.x Hyper-V as opposed to server edition? Just trying to understand the use case, which would be helpful during discussions with the dev team.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ITSafe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Vitaliy,
I am not Andrew but I can say why would I want Windows 8 Hyper-V support - Windows 8 has GUI as oppose to Windows Server Hyper-V Core. It is much easier to work with, yet cheap enough to not to worry about licensing.
Windows 8 PC with 2Tb hard drive costs $300 it is a cheap alternative to a replication server.
Hope this helps,
Alex.
ITSafe
Novice

Full Name: ITSafe Inc

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm 1 person likes this post

But you can still use remote Hyper-V Manager snap-in to manage that Hyper-V Core installation remotely with UI, right? Or you were referring to the initial configuration? Thanks for your feedback!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] hyper-v windows 8

Veeam Logoby willhunting » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi!
I have windows 8 pro ru, hyper-v 6.2.9200.16384
Veeam backup replication 7.0.0.871
I get a message when you try to add a server hyper-v:
"Windows 8 is not supported for this role"
willhunting
Lurker

Full Name: mike

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi Mike, please be aware that Windows Server 2008R2 and Windows Server 2012 are supported by Veeam B&R. For more info on supported configurations, please take a look at our system requirements, which are available on the website. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:37 pm

I believe this is not supported because Windows 8 does not include the Hyper-V VSS Writer, though there may be other reasons as well.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby jasonpearce » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:09 pm

My home lab is a Windows 8 x64 computer, Intel i7, and the Windows Hyper-V role. It would be nice to use the free Veeam Backup and Replication 8 v3 to backup the VMs in my lab.

When I attempt to add a New Hyper-V Server, targeting my stand-alone Windows 8 host, I also get the "Windows 8 is not supported for this role." I've tried domain accounts and local accounts without success.

This System Requirements page lists Windows 8.x as a supported OS for Veeam Backup Server:

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... ments.html

Yet this forum says that Windows 8 is not supported. Is Windows 8 supported or not? If so, how do I get past this error? I'm running Veeam Backup and Replication version 8.0.0.2084, which I think is the latest version as of 2015 Nov 24.
jasonpearce
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Pearce

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:03 am

Hello Jason,

You are misunderstanding the system requirements page. It is indeed supported to install Backup and Replication (the software that manages backups) on Windows 8. However, that does not indicate what we can back up. For that, see Platform Support.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Veeam Logoby jasonpearce » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:21 pm

AlanBolte,

Thank you for the response. Yes this is a little confusing.

To be clear, I'm not wanting to backup the Windows 8.x OS that is running physically on my home lab host. My host is running Windows 8 with the Hyper-V role installed. I think I could use your free (thank you) Veeam Endpoint application to backup my Windows 8 host.

I am, however, wanting to install Veeam Backup and Replication 8 v3 on my Windows 8 host and to configure my host as a standalone Hyper-V server in my Veeam Infrastructure. I would then use Veeam Backup and Replication 8 v3 to backup the guests on my Windows 8 host. That is what I'm attempting to do.

Windows 8 host is my Hyper-V host/server, which would also be my Veeam Backup Server.

You are correct, though, that the Platform Support documentation does not list Windows 8.x as a supported hypervisor -- right after the introduction that reads "Veeam Backup & Replication provides full support for the Hyper-V virtualizaton platform."

My assumption was that the Microsoft Hyper-V role (which is one of the free hypervisor options that is part of Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualizaton platform) that comes built into Windows 8.x was supported.

I still find the documentation a bit misleading and confusing, but I appreciate your clarification that the free Hyper-V role that comes with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 is not one of the supported Hyper-V platforms that Veeam Backup and Replication supports.

Feature Request: Please support the Hyper-V role that comes with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.

Why: My home lab is a 4-core, small form factor, PC with 16 GB of RAM and dual 256 GB SSDs. My wife knows of it as a Windows Media Center DVR that is always on and attached to our main TV. I know if it as my home lab that I may remotely use to create and test several virtual machines. In both cases, we have an always-on PC (DVR and a hypervisor). Having the ability to backup up the VMs in my lab would be a pleasant capability to have. I hope Veeam would consider configuring Veeam Backup and Replication provide full support for all versions of the Hyper-V virtualization platform (as implied here: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... pport.html).

Thanks for taking the time to consider this request and/or better clarify your documentation.
jasonpearce
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Pearce

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V