Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
gnogel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Georg Nogel

Re: Windows 8 Hyper-V

Post by gnogel »

Hi all,

I would also like to have windows 8.x supported (backíng up several VM's running on my pc)

I have some testing VM-envireonment and my old XP+Win7 as vm with some special progs. and my linux-firewall.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the feedback! Currently you may want to try backing up your entire host with VMs via Veeam Endpoint Backup.
VladZ
Lurker
Full Name: Vlad Zanadvorov

Post by VladZ »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Andrew,

Can you please tell me a bit more on why you prefer Windows 8.x Hyper-V as opposed to server edition? Just trying to understand the use case, which would be helpful during discussions with the dev team.

Thanks!
Hello, Vitaliy.

I can probably clarify the case, as I have (i believe) a very similiar setup.

I work as microsoft solutions architect and have two laptops (Thinkpads, w530 and x230, 32gb and 16gb RAM respectively), both of which are used extensively both for regular work activities (outlook, lync, presentations, etc) as well as for lab purposes (preparing PoC for product and solutions demos). Given that they have SSD drives and enough memory, this allows me to run a full-scaled windows infrastructure demos up to 10-15 VMs running at the same time with a reasonable performance. I need to note that this lab environment lives on its own for about five years and represents an environment of a fictional company, but still have quite similiar requirements as any real production environment.

Back in Windows 7 days I had dual-boot system (7/2008R2) respectively, as I have requirements for my VMs to be on a Hyper-V for easier migration to/from our main lab environment. Nowadays with 8.1, I run them smoothly on a desktop OS without requiring a reboot to access my own lab. This is more convenient and useful, also I have a full access to the lab during business trips, etc. I currently use an external HDD for backups of those, but have to use different software than Veeam. Also, Endpoint Backup is not an option, because it lacks granular wizards (SQL, AD, Exchange) which B&R has. Given the nature of demos and PoC, I regularly face a necessity to use them, since snapshots are not always as useful as granular restore is.

As far as I aware, this scenario is quite common for our engineers/architects.

Regards, Vlad.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Vlad,

Thank you for taking time to register on Veeam Community forums and posting your use case. We will definitely keep this in mind.
VladZ wrote:Also, Endpoint Backup is not an option, because it lacks granular wizards (SQL, AD, Exchange) which B&R has.
Actually, you do have an option to use Veeam Explorers with Veeam Endpoint Backup. Here is a bit more info on this > Restoring Application Items

Thanks!
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

[MERGED] Compatibility with Windows 8.1 Hyper-V

Post by adrianIDC »

I was wondering if Veeam B & R supports the Hyper-V hypervisor that comes as a feature in Windows 8.1

Could perform a backup job of a virtual machine within my windows 8.1 and hyper-v?

I make a demo and I would like that job attendees will perform backups on separate consoles. So you would use with portable 8.1 and Hyper-V enabled feature
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Desktop OS Hyper-V is not supported in Veeam B&R. If you want to protect VMs running on your host, then Veeam Endpoint Backup might be a good workaround for this.
brichardson1991_obk
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ben Richardson

Post by brichardson1991_obk »

I'd very much like to see support for Win 8/10

I use Windows 10 at home and have hyper V setup and i'd like to use Veeam to back my VM's up.
reincke@rmsware.de
Lurker
Full Name: Alexander Reincke

[MERGED] Logon failure adding new Hyper-V Server

Post by reincke@rmsware.de »

Hi,

I am absolutly new in Veeam and have a problem. I am working on Windows 10 with a local Hyper-V Service. Now I installed Veeam Backup and tried to
add the Hyper-V as a server. But unfortunatelly I always get a failure when checking the credential. The message is: The validation class requested was
invalid. Failed to logon user (Computername\myuser) --tr Error code 0x00000544.

As credential I use my one user which is member of the Administrator group on this computer. So what right do I not have?

I would be grateful for every hint because I spend a lot of time for this with no progress.

Best regards.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alexander, only server version of Hyper-V is supported. Please see this topic for more info.
reincke@rmsware.de
Lurker
Full Name: Alexander Reincke

Post by reincke@rmsware.de »

Thanks for the quick reply. So I can end my tries.

But I'd very much like to see support for Win 8/10
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you have a handful of VMs there, you can try to use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE as a workaround.
jknowles
Service Provider
Full Name: Jason Knowles

Post by jknowles »

Rats! I also interpreted that Windows 10 was a supported platform for Hyper-V backups. You should really make that more clear - at least put an * and footnote!

Here is my pickle. I now have an HP MicroServer running Windows 10 deployed at a very small client's site after a successful P2V migration of their old peer to peer Windows 7 "server" and backups are not going to be possible in the method that I had intended. I am a cloud license partner and intended to use an Enterprise Plus license to backup their VM and offsite it using WAN acceleration, in order to get away from our former Acronis and Vembu solution. The goal was to standardize on Veeam Enterprise Plus across our entire client base, including our smallest clients. Now I have to decide whether to convince this micro business to purchase a license for Windows Server Essentials solely to meet the requirements of our preferred backup software, or go back to using what we were using.

Not trying to sound like a whiner, but if we are able to sell them a Windows Server license, they may incur downtime simply because your documentation is unclear. At best, we may be able to reformat the USB drivekey in the server with the Server OS ISO, move the VHDX to their backup array, and reload the system from remote via the MicroServer's iLO remote console. Regardless, we are going to have to eat at least a full day's worth of labor reloading the computer's OS, installing and patching, and reloading Veeam Enterprise simply because your documentation is misleading.

I concur with another post in this thread from almost a year ago, and from a prior Veeam version, that the published system requirements are misleading. While it may seem like a rare event, the number of people that take the time to find this thread, register, and post their displeasure is most likely a small fraction of those that are mislead by the published system requirements. I urge you to take the time to add that Desktop OSes are not supported Hyper-V backup platforms to the system requirements, along with your warnings regarding Server 2012 data deduplication and SQL Server Express limitations. Hopefully it will prevent future frustration and misunderstandings.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jason,

Could elaborate on what particular documentation you refer to? Is it a User Guide, Release Notes or something different?

I'm wondering because both of the above-mentioned documents explicitly state supported hypervisor platforms.

Thanks.
jknowles
Service Provider
Full Name: Jason Knowles

Post by jknowles »

Sorry, I was referring to the System Requirements page. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... quirements. I do see that the Platform Support page above that does not list desktop OS, but if you Google "Veeam system requirements hyper-v", select the first result, and don't browse up to the Platform Support page, you get the impression that desktop OSes are ok. I'm just suggesting adding a warning to the red caution box in the section under backup server. Thanks!
timothy
Lurker
Full Name: Timothy English

Post by timothy »

Flogging a dead horse, but I did see a request for use scenarios.

Small business set up.

Host OS Windows Server 2012 R2 with Guest OS Windows Server 2012 R2.
Normal data backups are done to a local NAS as well as a remote NAS, hence an accidentally deleted file or corrupted file is easily recovered.

Veeam B&R is installed onto the Windows Server Host and a back-up of the Guest OS is is taken and stored on the remote NAS. After any significant change this back-up can be replaced.
Hardware fails on the Host OS. A Desktop running Windows 10 can have Hyper-V activated and then restore the backed up Guest OS and run it. until the original Host as been fixed or replaced.

Maybe this all can be done with native Hyper-V functions, but in doing a Google search for "Hyper-V backup" Veeam does get a top result.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Tim
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forums

I understand your scenario very well. In the country I live there are quite some companies that have this kind of setup. However, there are a few issues around your scenario, but I will propose you also some alternatives.

1. Hyper-V in Windows 10 is not the same as Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 R2. (and for that matter, there can be also differences with Windows Server 2016). If you restore a VM that is being backed up from 2012 R2 to a Windows 10 you could get into troubles as some specific server technology is not available in Windows 10. So your config might not work after a restore and you will need a lot of time fixing that.

2. In the case of 2016 versus 10 (for the future) it becomes even more confusing. 2016 is comparable with the anniversary update, but W10 moves faster so in a few months it can be already different. That and the fact that we know that windows 10 hyper-v is moving a bit into a different direction in the future. But we will need to see what the exact differences will be later on.

My suggestion for your scenario:

1. If you have a laptop / desktop available install windows server core or full on top of it and use it in your environment for emergency restores (as in your scenario), a secondary DC and the resources for surebackup (to test your backups on a regular schedule). In emergency this will gives you the quickest recovery possibility and it will run better then running your guests on a windows 10

2. If you don't have this, my proposal is to restore the backup as files (as in the VHDX only). Then create a new VM on that windows 10 desktop that you will use temporarily and attach the VHDX(-es) to it. Then you won't have those config issues and that is also a scenario that in most cases will work perfectly.

I know it is not direct recovery to windows 10, but the above are scenarios that are used by many smaller businesses for emergencies.

Hope it helps
Mike
timothy
Lurker
Full Name: Timothy English

Post by timothy »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that information.

Cheers