Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
andersgustaf

Windows Azure Pack Service Provider?

Post by andersgustaf »

Hi,

Will Veeam develop a service provider for WAP so that our customers can use "Backup as a service" for VM's, databases ect.?

Best regards,
Anders
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Windows Azure Pack Service Provider?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Anders,

I believe Windows Azure Stack is the successor of WAP and all vendors should be looking into integration with this technology, not WAP. Can you please elaborate a bit on your request? Do use WAP now or you're just thinking on how it can be used in your infrastructure?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you already have Windows Azure Pack installed? Or just start to look at this area?

As Vitaliy's pointed out, it doesn't stand to reason for us to implement something for WAP at this time, since Azure Stack (that is supposed to replace WAP) would leverage different (less painful) framework that would require completely different approach.

However, there is nothing preventing you from creating SMA runbooks and use our PowerShell commandlets inside them. Those runbooks can be then associated to any user's action you want to.

I did something similar in my lab, so, I'm sure it should work. You can even go as far as Cloud Assert and create a cross platform integration solution, using more or less similar approach.

Thanks.
andersgustaf

Post by andersgustaf »

Yes, we're runnign WAP today and have several customers in the solution.
I'm aware of Azure Stack will "replace" WAP, but do you have a date on the release of Azure Stack?
WAP will be running for a long time at companies who already implemented it, migrating system (what ever system it is) will be a pain :)

DPM BaaS:
http://www.buchatech.com/2015/05/early- ... zure-pack/

WAP Support info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=17064

But, I think I got my awnsers already, No.. Veeam has no plans of implement it :)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, no plans for now. Don't know the date, but it could be aligned with the release of Windows Server 2016.
CLOUDASSERT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ravi Kolandaiswamy

Post by CLOUDASSERT »

Hi Folks,

CLOUD ASSERT (a Veeam Partner and VMWare Solution Provider) has an extension for Veeam for Windows Azure Pack. Though it is hidden inside VConnect platform, the Veeam integration can work with or without VMWare integration for just System Center as well. This solution is deployed and used by enterprises and hosters in production.

And we are actively working on having this extension with more visibility and additional functionality for the upcoming Microsoft Azure Stack.

VConnect for Windows Azure Pack with Veeam Integration provides Backup and Restore functionality for System Center (Hyper-V) and VMWare based Virtual Machines from with in Windows Azure Pack Portal. Enables tenant users to schedule backup jobs, manage VM backups, restore from a backup to existing VM or to a new VM.

More info can be found here: https://www.cloudassert.com/Solutions/VConnect

You can also register and download free fully functional trial.

Best Regards,
Ravi