Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
datacomm
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Steffens

Windows update REFS V1 USB drives RAW

Post by datacomm »

So back in January you probably remember the MS broke ReFS USB drives making the filesystem show up as RAW. Fix was to uninstall update. Later they came out with some out of band patches to correct this issue and then you could have the update installed and would work fine. As far as I am finding these OOB updates only allowed V2+ ReFS drives to work. Does anyone know if they have a fix for ReFS V1 drives. I have some systems out there that are windows 2012 and so we cannot use V2+ drives on them. Every month when MS releases the rollup patch it breaks the drive and I have to remove the update. OOB patch doesn't help in these cases.

Any ideas?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Windows update REFS V1 USB drives RAW

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tim

As far as I heard (Steve is working for MS), ReFS filesystems v1.2 on removable drives will never work with current patches. ReFS on removable drives is not supported by microsoft. Microsoft released an update only for reFS filesystems v2.0 and later.

I recommend to look for an OS Upgrade. Veeam will benefit from reFS drives with FastCloning starting at Server 2016 or later. Or format them with NTFS.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software