Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
tjestr
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Falko Dohse

configuration/setup recommendations

Post by tjestr »

Hi,

we're currently planning to deploy Veeam Monitor and I've several questions regarding the setup/configuration of the system.
As far as I understand Veeam Monitor it is a kind of 3-tier solution: database, collector service and client.
Our current environment consists of 8 vSphere Host and 1 physical vCenter server. (about 210 VMs)

Now my questions:
Where is the best place (physical or virtual, or vCenter) to put the 1) database 2) collector service?
Do I have to put them on a single machine?
Is it supported to run both database and collector service on vCenter?
How big will the Veeam Monitor database grow (approx.)?
Is Veeam Monitor/database highly I/O or in general performance intensive?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: configuration/setup recommendations

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Falko,

1. Basically, the only thing you should be aware is that if your collector service is installed on a VM, make sure it is not high loaded as well as you've got the time being synchronized with the Host machine, this should be done to have all your graphics/trends undivided, however in case you see gaps in your graphics - check time synchronization or give more resources(CPU) to that VM. So its up to you where to install Veeam Monitor, almost all configurations are supported.
2. It doesn't really metter.
3. Actually, we haven't heard about any issues running database as well as the service on vCenter machine.
4. As soon as the collector gets all the historical data from vCenter, database will not grow so rapidly, so the database size depends on your infrastructure.
5. Make sure you're using the latest version available on our website, where we've reduced the load on tha database. Also please have a look this thread
Veeam Monitor : Truly Enterprise-Scale (PROOF) :D

Thank you.
tjestr
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Falko Dohse

Post by tjestr »

Thanks for the information!
As I said, our current environment consists of 8 vSphere Host and 1 physical vCenter server. (about 210 VMs)
Whats the approximate database size for it? Do we talk about GBs or 10GBs or 100GBs?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Falko,

I believe it should be about few GBs.