Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
mwkirk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Kirkpatrick

Create an alarm for Vmotion Events

Post by mwkirk »

I want to create an alarm to know when a VM is vmotioned. The little video here:

http://www.veeam.com/university/monitor ... string.swf

pretty much goes through exactly what I want. However, there does not seem to be an option in v7 to monitor for a vcenter event. When I go to add the event I only see an event based rule which seems to want to trigger off a Windows Event log event or specific condition rule which doesn't have what I need either. What am I missing?

Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Create an alarm for Vmotion Events

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

Event based rule is triggered based on the vCenter Server event you see in the vSphere Client and not the Windows Event log. If you want to monitor specific event, then you should copy and past either it's name or description from the Events tab and put this info to the alarm rule.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

BTW, what kind of activity you would like to monitor? I'm just thinking about making these alarms predefined in the next updates.
edmund.tan@aveva.com
Novice
Liked: never

Post by edmund.tan@aveva.com »

Hi Vitaliy,

How does even based rule is triggered? Based on my assumption from the pre-defined rules, put in the Event ID + Event Name that will appear on Event Viewer if something happen and this will trigger the alarm on Veeam One?
I wanted to customize a rule for that alerts me the usage of VM's disk space (The space inside the VM, i.e how much space left in the C drive, not the space consumed by the VM's virtual disk on the Hyper V Server).
So the event ID for disk space is 2013, i should just create a rule under Hypver-V > Virtual Machine and put the ID number as the Event name?

Thanks for your time!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Edmond,

Yes, your assumption is correct. If you see this event in the Events tab of Veeam ONE Monitor client, then you can copy the name of the event and paste it to the the alarm trigger you want to adjust.

Thanks!