Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
GenDev
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Data Protection View: Deleting a VM Protection Alert

Post by GenDev »

I'm not sure if I'm missing it or what, but how I can delete a failed job from the "VM Protection" tab in the "Data Protection View"?

I had a SureBackup job that I was testing out some functionality and it failed. Now it's been reported in VeeamOne and I can't figure out how to remove it. If it makes any difference, it's no longer showing "Failed" in Veeam B&R as I was able to successfully run it.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Data Protection View: Deleting a VM Protection Alert

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you could hide it by clicking on the filters and only show successful.

The view is like the session history in VBR. What would be the idea of deleting a session? The more interesting view might be the "Alarms" view, which shows issues.

Best regards,
Hannes
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi GenDev,

Yes, as Hannes said, the VM Protection tab (as well as other similar tabs) is essentially a feed of events and data that reflect the state of your infrastructure at any given point in time, so one could have a general idea of what's happening on each node.
But perhaps I could see the merit in the ability to truncate that log after some time.
Would you be able to articulate your vision of that feature and come up with other use cases where one might find it handy?

Thanks.
GenDev
Enthusiast

Post by GenDev »

HannesK wrote: Oct 13, 2021 4:51 am Hello,
you could hide it by clicking on the filters and only show successful.

The view is like the session history in VBR. What would be the idea of deleting a session? The more interesting view might be the "Alarms" view, which shows issues.

Best regards,
Hannes
So, after looking at it once more, I think the problem is my misunderstanding of the error notification. The reason I wanted to remove it because, in the left panel under "Data Protection View", there was a red dot on top of the repository. I assumed that red dot correlated with the failed item in "VM Protection" but it did not. We had an alarm that I didn't notice the first time I looked. Once we resolved the alarm, the red dot went away.

I'm not sure that deleting a session is the answer. I do see how it would be valuable to keep logs of those. But, it would be nice to be able to acknowledge or resolve it as you can with other alarms. We do test quite a bit with SureBackup and they don't always go as planned. So it would be nice to say "Yeah, we know it failed, but it's OK" so we don't have a mess of failed jobs in the list.

Not a necessity but more of a "wish list" item.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi GenDev,

The VM protection tab shows the latest state for each "active" job, so if you were able to run the job and it succeeded, the status should change. However, you are correct that red dots on the inventory pane serve a different purpose - they highlight the numbers or alarms for a specific subset of infrastructure.

Thanks
GenDev
Enthusiast

Post by GenDev » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming the status was stuck on failed because I had to delete the job and recreate it after it failed. I'm assuming jobs have an ID assigned to them and that's what VeeamOne goes by instead of job name. So, since the ID of the old job no longer existed, it got "stuck" in Veeam One.

Either way, I deleted the Veeam B&R server out of VeeamOne and reconnected it and the failed job is gone. I know that resets the historical data but it's not a big deal for us.