Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
adrianIDC
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Host hyper-v alarm reboot

Post by adrianIDC »

Hi guys!

In my laboratory I have a Hyper- V physical host (2012 R2) seems to want to play with me hehe .

It resets/reboot and i need alarm to know is the right to know when to do it and the reason.

Regarding the alarm to know when VM i've configured but not when the HOST PHYSICAL restarts itself.

well if you have been turned off by the guest or by some other factor SO .

Thank you very much !!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Host hyper-v alarm reboot

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Adrian,
You can make a custom alarm to trigger when the host goes down. Just like we did for VM in the similar topic.
As far as I know there is no such an event as Reboot/Restart, in the Windows logs there are Shut down and Power on events.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Just to make sure I understand you correctly - if the Hyper-V hosts itself reboots you should have an alarm about the connection state to this host, don't you?
adrianIDC
Expert

Post by adrianIDC »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Just to make sure I understand you correctly - if the Hyper-V hosts itself reboots you should have an alarm about the connection state to this host, don't you?
Yes, I can see there is an alarm call HOST CONNECTION FAILURE .
If not mistaken this alarm goes off when the physical host is turned off ( lost communication)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

To be correct the Host Connection Failure alarm triggers when the connection between Veeam One and the host is lost. Despite the fact, you definitely need to be informed in the case of the connection lost, it may happen not only due to reset/power-off.
However if you create another alarm combining the event with let`s say, 19020 Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS event, it can help differentiating the reboot.
Thanks!
adrianIDC
Expert

Post by adrianIDC »

Shestakov wrote:To be correct the Host Connection Failure alarm triggers when the connection between Veeam One and the host is lost. Despite the fact, you definitely need to be informed in the case of the connection lost, it may happen not only due to reset/power-off.
However if you create another alarm combining the event with let`s say, 19020 Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS event, it can help differentiating the reboot.
Thanks!

Hi Shestakov!

I've observed in the event log windows that the alarm that I look for in the event that has Id : 1074 & 1076 . These alarms displays when a host reboot/shutdown controlled and uncontrolled respectively.

The only thing that makes me doubt is at the origin.
My question is whether the alarm should be set up on Veeam One as 1074 only or 1074 User32 or 1074 System or 1074 Microsoft-System-User32

thank you very much Shestakov ;);)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Adrian,

I made some testing myself, but didn`t find out any explicit events Veeam One collects when Hyper-V host reboots. The best I see for now is to use the combination of Host Connection Failure and 19020 Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS events for the alarm.
Not sure that events you are referring to can be used for Veeam One alarm.

So, I`ve contacted more people in our R&D team to make additional research/testing. Will update the topic when we get some results. Thanks for the feedback and participation.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi again, Adrian,
Looks like there is no way to use the Microsoft host`s events for the alarm.
I`d suggest the above-mentioned workaround.
We will also take your feedback into consideration for the next versions. Thanks!