Installing Veeam Monitor version 3

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

Installing Veeam Monitor version 3

Veeam Logoby perch » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:16 pm

We are trying to install Veeam Monitor 3 and getting an error during setup when trying to enter the SQL server name and instance. We were running Veeam Monitor 2 sucessfully connecting to a SQL 2005 server and database, we uninstalled Veeam Monitor 2 then started the install of version 3 and when prompted for the external SQL server name no matter what we try (ie: Netbios name, DNS name, workgroup/DNS etc.) it will not connect. Any help as to what syntex should be used would be helpful, Veeam Monitor is being installed on a Windows Server 2003 not part of a domain that is also running SQL 2005?
perch
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Hello perch, if I am not mistaken it is SERVERNAME \ INSTANCENAME format (no spaces, SERVERNAME is a NetBIOS name).
Did you supply instance name?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Ben Milligan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Thank you for your post.

What specific error are you receiving?

You want to use the format "server\instance" for your existing SQL server, and also use the "domain\username" format for the account you're using (administrative level). You want to be sure that the SQL server account being used has admin rights in the SQL instance and local machine.

Your SQL instance might even be localhost. Pull up Services.msc, and check to see if the "SQL server(VEEAM)" service is running. You can also see your instances here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL

-Ben
Ben Milligan
Veeam Software

Liked: 37 times

Veeam Logoby rolypoly » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 pm

This hasn't really helped me :(
I'm trying to use a locally installed copy of SQL 2005 and it won't find the server.
This is a new installation of Veeam monitor 3.
I've tried:
<server ip>\default
<server ip>
localhost
<server name>\default
<server name>\mssql.1 (taken from the above reg key)

I don't want to use another instance of SQL Express, but want to use the full copy of SQL2005 that is already installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland.
rolypoly
Lurker

Veeam Logoby ssimakov » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Roland, please drop a message to support@veeam.com, we'll provide you with a build that will allow you to continue installation in your configuration.
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Veeam Monitor is being installed on a Windows Server 2003 not part of a domain that is also running SQL 2005?

Installing Veeam Monitor on a server which is not part of a domain is not supported at the moment.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RLAM » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:36 am

Same problem here, only both servers (app and sql) are in the same domain. However the setup could not contact/find the SQL Server.

Are there any known problems when using Veeam Monitor 3 on remote SQL servers?
RLAM
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:06 pm

RLAM, no, there are no known problems except the one I mention above (not part of the domain).
Can you ping this server from console? Could it be firewall issue?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 pm

RLAM, please also check the following logs for any errors
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware Infrastructure 3
Log file names are dbutil*.log
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby RLAM » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:01 pm

Originally posted by Gostev

RLAM, please also check the following logs for any errors
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Veeam\Veeam Monitor for VMware Infrastructure 3
Log file names are dbutil*.log

Thanks for you fast reply.

Yes I can confirm that the servers can see each other. Because on one of the application servers Virtual Center is running, so connection to the SQL server is working fine for this app.

We don't use any firewall on this network it's just for testing purpose.

I have checked the log file however this is not very helpful

12/26/08 15:43:05 00001660 0x0000067C "Unable to connect to db, code - -2147467259"
RLAM
Novice

Veeam Logoby TGB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Even with the latest version (3.0.2) of Veeam Monitor 3 we have the same problem over here. Whatever we enter in the SQL server / instance and in the user authentication, it doesn't work. Both servers are in the same domain and we are using even a domain administrator for the connection. Nothing works. Both servers can see eachother. The server on which we would like to install Veeam Monitor, we also have installed the SQL Native Client, just to see if it is possible to make a connection and then we are successfull.
We even have tried it to other SQL Servers, but within the installation of Veeam Monitor also not successfull (still successfull in the SQL Native Client).

What is the problem when trying to use an external SQL Server 2005 with Veeam Monitor? Could you help us out
TGB
Lurker

Veeam Logoby RLAM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Yes, have done the same steps as TGB did, however still no success.
RLAM
Novice

Veeam Logoby zilch321 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm wondering how much success people are having with installing the Free monitor application on existing SQL or SQL Express instances. This topic has over 600 views.

I myself have been unable to get it to work. I have an existing and well running SQL server connected to a domain (no idea why thats a requirement) and the installer refuses to work with my database. After plugging in the connection information the application pauses for several seconds and then returns an "unable to connect to remove database" error.
zilch321
Novice

Veeam Logoby ssimakov » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Gentlemen,

Could you please send an email to support@veeam.com with a short description of the error and logs to open a support case? It is hard to investigate the issue based on information presented here so we have to deal these cases one by one. We'll update this topic as we find the solution.

Thanks in advance!
ssimakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Veeam Logoby RLAM » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Just dropped you an email with more details about the problem, hoping that this will help you to fixed the problem
RLAM
Novice

Next

Return to Monitoring