Notification e-mail action

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

Notification e-mail action

Veeam Logoby howthorn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi,
is it possible to trigger e-mail notification for an alarm only in red state? For example I have a vm snapshot size alarm which is set to yellow at 5 gb and red at 10 gigs. I would like to receive e-mail notification only when this alarm goes to red.

thanks,
─░lkay
howthorn
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: ilkay aygun

Re: Notification e-mail action

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello Ilkay,

The alarm is being triggered every time when one of the defined rule conditions is met, meaning that an email will be send each time the alarm is raised. But thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

If you don't want to receive alarms with warnings, as a workaround you may try to create/duplicate this alarm and then edit the warning level to match the % value you have set for error state. On doing this just re-assign this new alarm with email notifications enabled.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1103 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby howthorn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:06 am

in that case I receive 2 duplicate e-mails for warning and alert states which have the same values. That is confusing.
howthorn
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:20 am

Hm...I've just talked to our Dev team and I was told that you may specify any negative number in the Warning Level option, that should prevent you from getting any notification at this level.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby howthorn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:46 pm

unfortunately the field does not accept any character other than numbers. seems to be impossible to enter negative numbers
howthorn
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Could you please clarify which steps you've taken to get duplicated email messages? I've just matched warning and error thresholds for CPU alarm and received only one notification. Please make sure you've disabled email notifications in your first alarm settings...

On top of that, thanks for the feedback, we'll implement an ability to use email notification rules in more granular way, so you could choose whether to send emails for warnings, errors or for both.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby howthorn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Vitaliy,
Let me explain the reason why I want to seperate warning and alert e-mails. We have a 1st level operational department. For example I defined an alarm for snapshot sizes with 5 gigs or more as yellow and 10 gigs or more as red. The operations department would take action when they see the warning alert but if they forget and the alarm turns to red, I would like to receive e-mail. In the existing situation, I receive the mail in both yellow and red states.
howthorn
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Yes, that makes perfect sense for me either, based on the way we are going to implement that, you'll be able to send warning email notifications to 1 Tier level guys and errors to another group of people.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Return to Monitoring