Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
TWuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: TW

Re: Physical NIC vmnic8 linkstate is down

Post by TWuser »

We upgraded VeeamOne to v12, and this issue seems to be much worse than in 11a.
Previously if we "Resolved" an alarm, it stayed resolved, at least until the next reboot.
Now if we resolve, it comes back in a few minutes.

Would prefer not to exclude entire hosts, since it can be a useful alarm for the ports actually used.
Am not going to set up a ton of custom alarms across multiple sites, hosts, hardware and network configs.
Maybe if we disabled the ports completely in the BIOS they would not be visible to VMware and thus VeeamOne.

The ability to exclude Nics in individual hosts would be perfect, but without that, it's likely we exclude whole hosts and miss this alarm on them.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 620 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
If the alarm had another behavior in v11a, I would recommend opening a support ticket and ask why is that. There is no trigger in time on the alarm that's true.

I do not think you need a ton of Custom alarms, how many different ESXi you have with different NICs down? That is a bit odd on configurations I saw on datacenters, hardware tend to be the same, with similar NIC numbers, and usually Networking team connect the same ports, like SAN A to PORT3 on all ESXi, SAN B PORT4, and those to different switches etc.

I would not recommend disabling anything in BIOS, that would cause troubles in the future to anyone trying to debug a physical connection to a port and why is not blinking, might lead to think is hardware failure.

I think you can create a few Business views, for example:
- ESXi-vNIC2
- ESXi-vNIC3
- ESXI-vNIC4

You get the idea, this will give you between 2 to 6 categories, I do not expect seeing Hosts with more NICs.

Then you clone the vNIC alarm, in exclusions you exclude the vNIC2, and in assigments you assign it to the Business View ESXi-vNIC2. This should not take much time, it scales as new hosts come into production, etc.

Hope it helps.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 119 times

Post by matteu »

Hello,
Interesting solution provide here with business viens but could you explain it how to build it please ?
I try it today but doesn t find how to create the business view based on vnic and how to manage it then.
If you can explain step by step all your idea, I would appreciate Jorge.

Thanks