Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
jklaw91
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John Lawrence

Reduce Emails for Guest Disk Free Space

Post by jklaw91 »

We are trying to reduce the number of emails we receive for Veeam ONE alarms. We currently use the following settings on Guest Disk Free Space alarm: 1) Warning when below 15 GB and 2) Error when below 5 GB. However, we don't want to receive an email notification when guest free space falls below 15 GB (Warning) but instead just have it show up in the Veeam ONE console for us to review periodically and address. Likewise we don't want an email when this particular Warning is resolved. We DO want to receive an email notification when guest free space falls below 15 GB (Error). And we DO want to receive an email when the Error is resolved. We are eager to do this even if it means creating new alarms and separate alarms to accomplish. But I'm not sure how to configure the alarms. Would appreciate help.
Thanks,

John
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Re: Reduce Emails for Guest Disk Free Space

Post by nikolaj »

Hi John,

To customize that alarm, you'd need to specify what happens with its notifications on a corresponding tab of the Alarm Settings window.
If you only want to receive notifications on errors and error resolutions only, then you should explicitly set up actions that will take place when the alarm triggers, e.g.:

In your case: Send email notification (either to a group or particular address that goes in the Value text field) with the condition "Errors only" and the same action for the condition when the alarm is resolved.

This configuration should cover your objective. JFYI, there's also a higher level of alarm customization in Server Settings > Notification policy which will work on all alarms unless specific rules are applied.

Thanks.
jklaw91
Influencer

Post by jklaw91 »

Thanks for the detailed help! That comes very close to what we need. It does eliminate the emails for Warnings but it does not eliminate the email when the Warning is resolved. Any idea as to how to eliminate both emails? We don't want to receive emails on Warnings (but instead have it just show up in the console) and we don't want to receive an email when a Warning is resolved. Would love it if there was an easy way to do this but we are open to creating a separate customized alarm(s), but need to know how to configure so it would do what we want. Thanks!
Thanks,

John
nikolaj
Expert

Post by nikolaj »

Hi John,

Hmm, I was going to propose a workaround where you'd clone the existing alarm and then remove the Warning condition from the original one (and the Error condition from the cloned). But upon closer look, it turned out to be impossible to do so since both conditions are mandatory.
Hypothetically, you could potentially bypass the limitation in the original alarm by lowering the Warning value to 4.99% (which is not ideal since there's still a possibility for disk space to be in that 0.1% realm) but the inability to remove the Error condition from the cloned alarm would still remain in place.

I think this could be treated as a feature request.

The only other option I see is to disable notifications about Resolved and Acknowledged alarms altogether, but I guess it's not desirable in your case, is it?
jklaw91
Influencer

Post by jklaw91 »

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like this would be an enhancement or feature request. What I decided to do is to create two custom Guest disk space alarms, one for Warning (where Warning value is 15.0 and Error is 1.0 GB, and where there would be no notification email sent). The second one for Alarm/Error (where Warning value is 5.001 and Error is 5.0 GB, and where this one would have notifications configured to email a distribution group for any state. Not ideal bc we will receive 2 sets of emails if below 1.0 GB, but this is better b/c it does seems to mostly do what I want and just show Warnings in the console only (no email). Thanks again.
Thanks,

John
nikolaj
Expert

Post by nikolaj »

Glad you could make it work for you.
You could also remove the Notification action from the alarm that you set for Warnings only: