Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
elwappo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Something seems to be missing

Post by elwappo »

I was looking for a counter that would show available and used space on a datastore in the monitor but I don't see it anywhere. It seems like it would be something very useful to have on the summary page. Is there something there like this or is this something I cannot do with monitor? Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Something seems to be missing

Post by Gostev »

Hello, storage monitoring (including datastore usage) is a part of the upcoming Monitor 4.0 functionality.
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Do you know when 4.0 is slated for a release? And how does upgrading work? I purchased monitor last October. If it comes out before then do I get bumped to the new release or do I pay an upgrade cost?

Thanks!

And we love the product!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello, we are currently aiming at April with the 4.0 release. Upgrade is simple since all configuration data is stored in the database, so you would just need to upgrade you Monitor Server and Monitor Client components. Yes, you will get bumped on the new release, and you will also receive the new license key automatically. All customers on maintenance are eligible for free upgrades, no matter if it is minor or major version.

Thank you for your kind words about our product. :D
elwappo
Enthusiast

Post by elwappo »

Thanks! And keep up the great innovation. You guys are doing things with 3i that other companies can't seem to do. :-)
Mark.Carroll
Novice
Full Name: Mark Carroll

Post by Mark.Carroll »

You mean others still rely on a service console?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, one example is VMware monitoring thingy from HP.

SNMP is also extremely popular from legacy monitoring frameworks who is trying to get into the virtual world. But unfortunately with SNMP you cannot get even nearly close to the amount of VMware-specific metrics which Veeam monitoring solutions are able to provide due to leveraging VI API... Besides, talking about free ESXi - you cannot enable SNMP there at all.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

elwappo wrote:I was looking for a counter that would show available and used space on a datastore in the monitor but I don't see it anywhere. It seems like it would be something very useful to have on the summary page. Is there something there like this or is this something I cannot do with monitor? Thanks!
This has been implemented in the Veeam Monitor 4.0 release. Thanks for the feedback!
alhubo
Novice
Full Name: Alex Hubery

Post by alhubo »

Hi, I am using the free version of Veeam monitor 4.0 for monitoring an ESXi server.

However, I am unable to set an alarm to monitor the disk space of the ESXi Host. Is this due to me using the free version of the monitor software or have I done something wrong?

Many thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello Alex, can you explain the problem in more details? What object are you setting up alarm on, and why you cannot do this? You can use alarms in free version too, but the total number of alarms is limited to 10.
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

Thanks for the reply Gostev.

I am trying to set an alarm for the ESXi Host's internal storage so an email can be sent out if the disk space it gets too low.

Very impressed with the software so far though!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alex, you should on this alarm on the corresponding Datastore object under the Datastores node in the tree, rather than on ESXi host.
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

Hi Gostev, I reposted then before i realised you had replied.

Unfortunately there are no Datastores listed under the node tree. Just the ESXi servers
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

This is strange - I've just tested this by adding stand-alone ESX and ESXi hosts, as well as vCenter, and I am able to see local storage for all ESX hosts... may be this issue is specific to the local storage you are using for your ESXi host. Do you see this storage in the VMware Infrastructure Client?
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

I can see storage yes in the VMware Infrastructure Client if I browse the Host configuration and look at the "Storage" link in the hardware pane.

The hardware used mainly are Dell 1950s + 2950s; with some having a MD3000 attached.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alex, devs are currently preparing a command line for you to run against your SQL DB, so that we can troubleshoot this issue and make those datastores appear.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Alex, could you please send the service logs (from Veeam Monitor Server Settings application), as well as outX.txt output from these 3 commands to our support email address at support@veeam.com.

Code: Select all

sqlcmd -S <DBSERVER>\<DBINSTANCE> -d <DBNAME> -q "select * from Infrastructure" > c:\out1.txt
sqlcmd -S <DBSERVER>\<DBINSTANCE> -d <DBNAME> -q "select * from HostVmfsMountInfo" > c:\out2.txt
sqlcmd -S <DBSERVER>\<DBINSTANCE> -d <DBNAME> -q "select * from Devices" > c:\out3.txt
Example of command with parameters filled out:

Code: Select all

sqlcmd -S LOCALHOST\VEEAM -d VeeamMonitor -q "select * from Infrastructure" > c:\out1.txt
Thank you!
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

Hi, I have sent these off to support now.

Worryingly the outputs didn’t seem to connect to the SQL back end so perhaps this is a configuration issue? :?
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

Hi,

In the monitor server settings, it say the collector version is 3.0.2.105; is this meant to be 4.0? I'm thinking that maybe I have downloaded an older version by mistake?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, either you downloaded old version, or it could also mean that you did not upgrade the Veeam Monitor server, only Veeam Monitor client.
alhubo
Novice

Post by alhubo »

Right I think I have found the problem to this now. I am indeed running an old version of this software which is why the GUI is not tallying up the guide I was using!

Sorry for the the misunderstanding and thank you for your help.