Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Veeam Monitor vs VMWare

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
I finally got my the Veeam Monitor installed guys. thanks for your help. After installing and adding vCenter I'm kind of confused, lol. It looks like that veeam Monitor actually does the same thing as VMware.. am I missing something? lol
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Re: Veeam Monitor vs VMWare

Post by rbrambley »

5 Differences to start:

1. Run the Alarm Modeling Report to see a summary of all alarms so you can easily identify issues (and see if you are going to blow up your inbox!)
2. Schedule HTML, Overview and Trend Reports to deliver to your mailbox or a network folder
3. Each Alarm is tied to a Knowledge Base with Summary, Possible Causes, and Possible Resolutions (create custom alarms and custom KB pages too)
4. Connect multiple vCenters and/or unmanaged ESX(i) hosts as you want without $$$ (yes, even free ESXi)
5. Use the Process Tab on vCenter, ESX(i) hosts, or windows and Linux VMs to troubleshoot inside the Guest OS.

There's more. You'll see, but that will get you started. I'm sure the guys will add to my 2 cents (or is it my 5 cents?)
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

interesting,.. I didn't knew that :) .. thanks for the information. I'm new with it :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would aslo add that with Veeam Monitor has these features missing from vCenter Server:

1. Business View integration (ability to monitor/alarm on VMs categorized on certain criteria)
2. Tops and lowest load for hosts and VMs.
3. Datastore I/O for VI3, vSphere
4. "Awarness" for known events such as Live Migration/Snapshot creation or deletion.
5. Unique alarms like number of running VMs.

Thanks!
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

That sounds great so far. I'm playing around with the Veeam Monitor and see a few things i really like :)

Is is possible for me to monitor each backup job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you please clarify what you are referring to?

You can choose alarm suppression during Veeam backup jobs, as for job monitoring I believe it's better to do that with Enterprise Manager :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, 3 most useful and critical Monitor features still have not been mentioned :) accidentally, these features is something you cannot get by using native tools (vSphere Client).

Those must have features are:
1. Snapshot monitoring and alerting (including abandoned and hidden snapshots that cannot be seen in vSphere Client).
2. Guest disk space monitoring and alerting.
3. Huge number of predefined alerts (based on years of gathering best practices from VMware environments), and knowledge base with resolution details for each alert.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

I was referring to information which you actually find under a jobs "Real-time Statistic".