Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Larry s
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Veeam ONE - Guest disk space alarms, stale data??

Post by Larry s »

Hello,

For a long time, I've noticed that we get alarms for the amount of free disk space on a virtual Windows server, and often when we go to investigate the issue, the amount of free space has increased, yet the alarm status will remain for days/weeks/months.

Is there some way to force Veeam ONE to do some kind of refresh that will make it go look at the real-time data and resolve the alarm?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have...Larry
Larry s
Influencer

Re: Veeam ONE - Guest disk space alarms, stale data??

Post by Larry s »

One key element I forgot to include - we are 100% Hyper-V based, running on Windows Server 2019, so I don't know if this same issue occurs with ESXi environments.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi Larry,

How big is your virtual environment and what kind of data collection mode you're running, typical or advanced?

Thanks.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Larry,

Please, also let us know what VONE version you are using.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest raising a support case in parallel as we might need more details to understand what's going on there, including debug logs. If you raise a case, please share your case ID here.

Thanks
Larry s
Influencer

Post by Larry s »

Hello,

Here you go:

1) We are running Veeam One version 11.0.0.1379
2) Veeam One is pointed at our SCVMM server, which currently contains two Hyper-V clusters running 8 hosts in one cluster and 6 hosts in the other cluster. Right now we have 648 VMs - SCVMM and all hosts are running on Windows Server 2019.
3) The data collection mode is set to Typical.

I'm going to be out of the office later this week until after September 7th - I won't be able to access main things other than e-mails and the web, so, I won't be opening a case until I return, and that way I will be able to provide support information I'm sure they'll need me to collect.

Thanks
Larry s
Influencer

Post by Larry s »

One more thing, it seems that data collection is working, when you select something under the Infrastructure View, like the same VM that has the stale disk space data/alarm, you can watch the CPU or Memory views and see them update every few minutes, it's just the disk space alert shows data that is not current, and even if you resolve that alarm, the same alarm comes back in 3-5 seconds with the same amount of free space showing again, which is not the actual amount of free space on the virtual server.

Also - those graphs for CPU/Memory track to what you see when logged into the server and looking at task manager, so I know that Veeam One IS pulling some real metrics from the server, but for some reason, it's not always pulling the available disk space. And, I suspect it's less than 5% of our overall VMs that this is occurring on and I believe that sometimes it's happening on different VMs. That's the best I've been able to determine.

I hope that is useful additional information...Larry
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the details. We'll definitely be analysing this case within RnD since it resembles other scenarios with non-resolving Guest Disk space alarms in Hyper-V environments.

Meanwhile, please do submit a support case referencing this forum thread and issue 322798 (internal id), so our support team would be context-aware of the situation.

Thanks.