Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
ChrisGundry
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

VeeamONE reports storage connection failure after guest file restore

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi

After a guest file restore (or others as well) via Veeam B&R finishes, the B&R process then removes the storage from the ESXi host and rescans the host. However, when the storage is removed and before the host is rescanned, the host reports the storage as down and VeeamONE then reports 'storage connection failure'. When our service desk are doing lots of restores or we are automating tasks, this results on a lot of VeeamONE alerts for the same.

Are we doing something wrong, or is this an oversight in Veeam B&R/ONE somewhere?

Thanks

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 324 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: VeeamONE reports storage connection failure after guest file restore

Post by wishr »

Hi Chris,

If it's happening on the host itself there is not much VONE can do with it as we are pulling the data via vSphere APIs.

Regarding VBR behavior, I can't judge yet if it's normal or not. This should be clarified with our technical support team directly as we do not know any details about your environment and actions leading to the described behavior.

Thanks

ChrisGundry
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry »

Yes, if it appears on the host itself it will appear on VeeamONE, I agree, but that is the issue...

The behavior of the B&R is going to be the same for all customers, the method by which the restore process happens is not specific to my environment, it is a function of the Veeam software.

I posted here because when I asked in a historical Veeam support case (ages ago so I don't have the # anymore) they said to post it on the forum...

I was hoping that someone (Veeam staff or otherwise) would be able to confirm if they see this behavior. It seems that VeeamONE is still not that widely used!

I guess I will have to raise another support case for this specific issue...

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 324 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Well, all feature requests should go here to the forums and not to the technical support team. We are always happy to discuss and address them in future versions of VONE. However, the behavior your host is experiencing does not look normal to me and VBR QC team - I just had a talk about this with one of their team members. That's why we should act step-by-step and first of all confirm whether it's a bug in VBR, some specifics of the environment, or get a confirmation that this is alright in your particular case. Based on the result, we can easily define the next steps. This is the primary reason why I'm suggesting opening a case with VBR technical support team and first of all, clarify that point.

As you may know, we already have a setting in the alarms allowing you to suppress an alarm during backup activities. Currently, this setting only covers backup activities and not restores. Based on the outcome of the investigation, if there is still a need to add restores to the coverage of the aforementioned setting (or add a separate setting), we will be able to consider it as a feature request.

Thanks