VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Hello all,

something that is a bit of a hassle, but not that big of a deal:
During a quick migration the alarm VmMacConflictEvent gets fired, and "Suppress alarm when certain task is performed / Veeam Backup activity" is checked.
A quick migration is not really a backup activity, but it would be nice if that alarm could be suppressed if it would arise from a quick migration by B&R.

Versions:
vCenter 5.5a (vcsa)
ESXi 5.1u1
Veeam B&R 7r2
Veeam ONE 7.0.0.876

I have to use quick migration, as I only have a vSphere Essentials license without vMotion.
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Lars,

Do you see this alarm only for Quick Migration jobs? I know that this alarm should be automatically suppressed for replicas, though I'm not sure about quick migration jobs. Let me ask our QC team to reproduce and think of a workaround that can address this situation.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Lars,

Do you see this alarm only for Quick Migration jobs? I know that this alarm should be automatically suppressed for replicas, though I'm not sure about quick migration jobs. Let me ask our QC team to reproduce and think of a workaround that can address this situation.

Thanks!


Hi Vitaliy,
as I only use Quick Migration and no replicas, I can only observe this during Quick Migrations, but then it occurs every time.
No rush about this, I just found it worth mentioning - I do around one Quick Migration per month ;)
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Lars, can you please provide us additional details on what you're doing:

1. Did you use Smart Switch or Cold migration?
2. Do you have static or dynamic MAC address configured on the VMs you're trying to migrate?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Lars, can you please provide us additional details on what you're doing:

1. Did you use Smart Switch or Cold migration?
2. Do you have static or dynamic MAC address configured on the VMs you're trying to migrate?


Smart Switch
MACs are set to automatic on the VMs (VMXNET3)

The latest VM where that happened is running vCSA 5.5a.
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:26 am

Another fact that might have something to do with it:
Veeam ONE is connected to the vCenter server, but Quick Migrations I connect directly to the hosts, and do not connect/use vCenter server for it.
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am

Oh....that changes everything ;) Since you did not add vCenter Server to the Veeam B&R console, it is expected to see this event and I'm not sure there is a way to acknowledge it as a Veeam backup server activity. Be aware that you should have the same infrastructure added to both Veeam ONE and Veeam B&R in order to make integration between these products work properly.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Oh....that changes everything ;) Since you did not add vCenter Server to the Veeam B&R console, it is expected to see this event and I'm not sure there is a way to acknowledge it as a Veeam backup server activity. Be aware that you should have the same infrastructure added to both Veeam ONE and Veeam B&R in order to make integration between these products work properly.


The vCenter Server is added in B&R and ONE. I did add my ESXi hosts as well in B&R, as I often move the vCSA around, and the last time I tried to do a Quick Migration of vCenter Server over vCenter Server it did not end well :roll:
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks for clarification! Out of curiosity, why do you migrate your vCSA that often?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Thanks for clarification! Out of curiosity, why do you migrate your vCSA that often?


That was in the last year, normally it stays put.
Upgrading from vCSA 5.0 to 5.0U1, then to 5.1, then to 5.1U1. After that a major rework of the server rack. And then the upgrade of vCSA to 5.5a.
One would think that after the first two upgrades I'd learn to put the new vCSA in the right spot from the beginning ...
I guess I tried touching that hot plate more than once as a kid.
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:05 am

lp@albersdruck.de wrote:I guess I tried touching that hot plate more than once as a kid.

You made my day ;) Thanks for clarifications!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VmMacConflictEvent during Quick Migration from B&R7

Veeam Logoby lp@albersdruck.de » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Glad I could help 8)
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
 
Posts: 81
Liked: 31 times
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm
Full Name: Lars Pisanec


Return to Monitoring



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests