Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
romulanvox
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: KNL

Active Directory application aware backups for Nutanix AHV VMs

Post by romulanvox »

I'd like to know if there's a need to back up an AD domain controller AHV VM as VAW (Veeam Agent for Windows), so that application aware backup for AD objects is achieved.

For MS SQL DBs with transaction log backups, I had to configured the VAW backup for the AHV VM.

For AD domain controllers, is it as simple as installing NGT in the guest Windows OS as per https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documen ... -wc-r.html ?

I've configured AD app aware backups for vSphere before and know that VBR needs to authenticate with the target Windows VM running AD domain controller, with a domain admin account in the BUILTIN\Admin group. How can this domain admin account setting be configured for a domain controller running as a AHV VM, without the use of VAW?

If anyone has successfully configured AD app aware backup for AHV VMs, without using VAW, please share your experience.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Active Directory application aware backups for Nutanix AHV VMs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VBR needs to authenticate with the target Windows VM running AD domain controller, with a domain admin account in the BUILTIN\Admin group
you could also do it like on Nutanix with VMware quiescing if it's only about backup.

Backup is no problem in any case. The Explorer for AD also works with crash consistent backups. The only challenge with VMware tools quiescing / Nutanix NGT is the full VM restore. The machine won't boot in non-authoritative mode. While modern Windows AD should prevent USN rollback issues, I would simply create a new domain controller instead of restoring it (I'm old-school around that topic :-))

Best regards,
Hannes