Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
jame
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Nutanix AHV

Post by jame »

@dellock6
I don't discuss about Nutanix price, I was talking that I have many customer actually using vSphere+Veeam+Nutanix. It is not a bugdet restriction, it is more that fact that VMware remove Enterprise licences, so customer will have to buy more or get less (mostly DRS), so customers start to look for a move. It may change with win2016 but for 2012r2, customer that know vSphere won't go to Hyper-V as it, they are more interested buy KVM. From my point of view their is more traction with OpenStack (as KVM is the best fit).
Napiz
Lurker
Full Name: Lipaz Hessel

Post by Napiz »

Hello,

Here are few reasons to use AHV:
1. License price for adding 4th Node.
2. DR minimum Nodes are 4, so VMWare Essentials Kit is no good. now its expensive, and think if i use 6 Nodes, 3 on each side.
3. Hyper-v is not simple to manage so i rather use AHV then Hyper-V
4. Nutanix give me support with 4 hours SLA for the AHV, Very important for my customers.

i can find many more reasons to go to AHV, so i am +1 +1 +1 +1...

Napiz,
GilesEadon
Novice
Full Name: Giles Eadon

Post by GilesEadon »

+1 for Nutanix AHV support.
RobF
Lurker
Full Name: Robert Franklin

Post by RobF »

Veeam, I understand the ROI math Veeam has to do on AHV/KVM support.

However, I have math to consider on my side too. I'm currently running 83 hosts of vSphere Enterprise Plus, nearly all Nutanix, and have moved all of our backups to Veeam. We are enthusiastic Veeam customers. That doesn't change the fact that I would be irresponsible not to evaluate AHV for 2017. Nutanix has already proven their reliability to us, and the potential savings moving to AHV are huge. If I have to make the choice between losing Veeam or a six-figure cost savings, Veeam isn't going to win. My evidence is only anecdotal, but conversations with my peers indicate others are taking a hard look at the same numbers.
jlh304
Lurker
Full Name: Justin

Post by jlh304 »

Veeam needs to get support for Nutanix's Acropolis. Nutanix's solution is awesome and to be honest the only reason to stay with VMware would be to continue to use Veeam. But the cost justification just doesn't make sense so I will need to look at replacing Veeam if you can't backup Acropolis. Nutanix is a rising star and it is worth being fully supported by Veeam. I'm leaving VMware for acropolis, and there are many more of us out there making the same decision. Unfortunately this means I will have to leave Veeam as well unless you can support AHV, and I love Veeam.
NordicNorm
Lurker
Full Name: Norman Neil

Post by NordicNorm »

Another long time Veeam customer who has recently migrated to Nutanix and would like to see Veeam offer support for Acropolis.
btanguay
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Benoit Tanguay

[MERGED] Veeam B&R to support Nutanix AHV (Acropolis)

Post by btanguay »

Hi,

That more a question for Veeam folks, but let see. Is there any plan in the future for Veeam B&R to support other Hypervisor like the AHV on Nutanix box?
I've already read that they wait to see if the AHV will become popular.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Benoit, please review Anton's reply on the previous page for the answer.
btanguay
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Benoit Tanguay

Post by btanguay »

Thanks
toffitomek
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tomasz Foltman

Post by toffitomek »

I think Nutanix has now some Backup CBT API available:
https://www.nutanix.com/2016/09/21/comp ... -software/

and from here:
http://myvirtualcloud.net/nutanix-5-0-f ... ing-part-2
Acropolis Change Block Tracking (CBT) for Backup Vendors
With AOS 5.0 backup vendors can take full advantage of Nutanix based CBT (hypervisor agnostic) to take both incremental and differential backups of disks and VMs more efficiently. If your cluster only running VMware vSphere you already have CBT via the hypervisor; however with Nutanix CBT similar capabilities are available to the base platform enabling multi-hypervisor CBT support. Administrator will now be able use the same backup tools and methods across all supported hypervisors.
Nutanix CBT utilizes the new REST 3.0 API that can be used to query for the changed meta-data regions given any two snapshots of a virtual disk or virtual machine. The approach is valuable for taking incremental and differential backups; and even useful while taking full backups because the API identifies regions that are spare (zeroed), therefore saving on read operations.
Nutanix will soon announce backup partners integrating natively with the platform.
HBGNB
Novice
Full Name: George

[MERGED] new feature

Post by HBGNB »

Hello,

is it possible to add the hypervisor from NUTANIX (AHV) to VEEAM B&R ?

wbr
George
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: new feature

Post by Shestakov »

Hello George and welcome to the community!
So far only VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V are supported by Veeam.
Your request is taken into account though. Thanks!
HBGNB
Novice
Full Name: George

Re: new feature

Post by HBGNB »

Hello,

thanks a lot.
I hope so because NUTANIX is growing very fast.
When you check their customers you will see....
timcoles
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Coles

Post by timcoles »

Just finished a Nutanix POC with AHV and we're really happy with it. Only doubt we have is lack of Veeam support.

This is unlikely to be a deal breaker though as we can always use CommVault if we have to. Would much rather use Veeam though.

Cheers,

Tim
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

You could always use the Veeam Agents for Windows and Linux to protect your VMs running on any unsupported hypervisor.

Joe
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Don't you lose a lot of capability that way?

We, too, are strongly looking at Nutanix/AHV, so lack of Veeam support is a big concern for us.
Veeaming since 2013
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton » 1 person likes this post

With the server edition of the agents you don't lose much functionality (especially with Windows VMs and the Veeam Agent for Windows).

Joe
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Post by ChuckS42 »

Got a link for Veeam Agent for WIndows documentation? Not seeing any in the Technical Documents page (which may be because the product is still in Beta test).
Veeaming since 2013
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Post by jmmarton »

Once you've received an invite to the Agent for Windows beta, it should include a link to the documentation.

Joe
johangroovey
Service Provider
Full Name: Johan Grove

Nutanix storage based snapshots

Post by johangroovey »

When will Veeam support storage based snapshots on Nutanix and Acropolis as a hypervisor?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Johan - we have not made any specific plans around Nutanix support yet.
tsun8824
Novice

Post by tsun8824 »

Just wanted to share this quote from an article on TechTarget (SearchConvergedInfrastructre):
"I have a deep desire to use AHV, but I don't have a legitimate way to back it up, and I won't touch AHV until I can back it up," Matt Day, IT director of Australia-based Langs Building Supplies said.
Source Article:
Nutanix AHV tire kickers say they avoid 'VMware tax'
http://searchconvergedinfrastructure.te ... VMware-tax
Matt@Work
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Matt Collier

Post by Matt@Work » 4 people like this post

I'd forgotten about this thread !!

We eventually binned off Nutanix as we feel we get better value from Veeam than we would switching from VMware to AHV. We're in the process of switching to Hyper-V on Hypergrid and we can carry on using Veeam. We certainly think we've made the right call and reduced our OPEX costs.
ddrrdd
Novice

Post by ddrrdd »

For a new infrastructure, now I will never chose Nutanix because it lack many functionality.
Have a look at https://www.simplivity.com/ ...
They was so advanced HPE buy them :)

Nutanix was an old solution before VMware vVol or Hyper-V + SMB3.
Those 2 solution can be sell in integrated product buy many server or storage vendor (Hitachi server for example) and will have no IO bottleneck that Nutanix and Simplivity must have because of the internal architecture.

If the licence cost is a big problem maybe your can buy commodity servers with free open source hypervisor like openstack.
And you do not have to pay for Veeam licence :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

@ddrrdd let me just say that I completely disagree with every single statement you've made, however it is a long conversation for a forum post and it can make a lot of people upset so I'll just leave it at that ;) but if you come to VeeamON, VMworld or Ignite - find me and we can discuss more in person!
Matt@Work
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Matt Collier

Post by Matt@Work » 1 person likes this post

ddrrdd wrote:For a new infrastructure, now I will never chose Nutanix because it lack many functionality.
Have a look at https://www.simplivity.com/ ...
They was so advanced HPE buy them :)
This does make me smile :) I would imagine they bought it because their own offering was received so poorly.

We eval'd Simplivity as well, liked it, but a lack of Server 2016 support in a timeframe we needed ruled it out. Honestly, now its bought by HP, its a no go as well based on HP's past form.
romx
Novice
Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Post by romx »

to ddrrdd: I would agree here with gostev. It's just a weird bunch of wrong statements about HCI and Nutanix. Nothing to criticise here, everything is not true in ddrrdd reply.
wrighti
Lurker
Full Name: Ian Wright

Post by wrighti »

Count another long time customer that runs 32 Nutanix nodes that would love veeam support for AHV. We're currently running it at ROBO sites, and looking to run our dev servers in our datacenter on AHV... Veeam support would be much appreciated and save us money on paying for ESX licenses.
romx
Novice
Full Name: Roman Khmelevsky

Post by romx »

Veeam has a risk to lost most of loyal users due they are migrated to AHV. Another virtual backup vendor (from tier-2 lists) now worked on AHV backup software and will announce it in 2017 soon.
TeamNorthwoods
Lurker
Full Name: Dirk Nelson

Post by TeamNorthwoods »

+1 for AHV support. We are moving away from an 8 host ESXi environment to a 3 host AHV environment. I can't justify keeping around ESXi or moving to Hyper-V. It's not only added cost, as many others have argued, it's also added complexity. While I really enjoy using Veeam, I can't continue to use it if it requires me to add another layer to support in ESXi/Hyper-V. As a small IT team, we are trying to eliminate complexity, and keeping one of those hypervisors is moving in the wrong direction.

Let's face it - hypervisors are nearly commoditized these days, especially in the SMB segment of the market. It's time for Veeam to accept that, even if it means developing for what now is a small market. In a few years, I suspect that Nutanix will control a much larger portion of the market. In the meantime though, I'll be forced to move to something else like CommVault if Veeam has no plans for AHV support, and that's a shame.