Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Nutanix reports me for PD snapshots that Veeam generated

Post by ibarizz »

Hello!
I'm having an issue by using protection domains to group my VMs in Nuntanix and taking the backups from there with Veeam.
It looks like Nutanix reports me for existing snapshots when they are actually deleted. I still can't figure how this is actually working with Veeam. Nutanix reports me for snapshots that do not currently exist, but that existed for a period of time defined by the retention policy I have in Veeam (which are not even snapshots within the Nutanix cluster but rather stored in the backup repository, meaning they are backups).
This Veeam KB https://www.veeam.com/kb2743 told me to increase the thereshold in my cluster, which was increased to the actual retention policy, but we're still facing the alerts. Also used a bigger theresold than our actual retention policy (14 restore points and used 28 days as thereshold) and still faced the alerts.

Here the errors faced in our Nutanix CVMs:

Detailed information for aged_entity_centric_third_party_backup_snapshot_check:
Node <IP-NODE>:
WARN: VM <VMname> has 1 snapshot(s) that have existed in the storage for more than 28 days.
WARN: VM <VMname> has 1 snapshot(s) that have existed in the storage for more than 28 days.

Detailed information for aged_third_party_backup_snapshot_check:
Node <IP-NODE>:
WARN: System has 65 third-party backup snapshot(s) that have existed in the storage for more than 28 days
Refer to KB 4273 (http://portal.nutanix.com/kb/4273) for details on aged_third_party_backup_snapshot_check or Recheck with: ncc health_checks data_protection_checks protection_domain_checks aged_third_party_backup_snapshot_check

I don't wanna go thorugh ignoring the warning. Maybe if someone else faced this before or could explain how this actually works with Veeam, it would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Nutanix reports me for PD snapshots that Veeam generated

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ibarizz

Have you already talked to our and Nutanix support team about this issues? If so, what's the Veeam case number?
Nutanix reports me for snapshots that do not currently exist, but that existed for a period of time defined by the retention policy I have in Veeam (which are not even snapshots within the Nutanix cluster but rather stored in the backup repository, meaning they are backups).
That doesn't sound right. Backups on Veeam repositories are not Nutanix snapshots. Nutanix shouldn't see them.
Maybe you can still see warnings from the backup snapshots we have created before doing the backup to our repositories. They will be created each time at the start of the backup job.

I suggest to work on this issues with our customer support team. We need the log files to understand what's happening in the environment.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software