Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
EmmyU
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Emeka Udaya

Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV

Post by EmmyU »

Hi all,
I am new to backing up Nutanix AHV with Veeam. Please, I need to know what transport mode is available for Veeam backup for Nutanix AHV. I am having both slow backup and slow restore.
Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV

Post by Mildur »

Hi Emeka

There is only one option with Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV. We don't have similar transport modes in AHV as for vSphere.
Our proxy server mounts the disks per iSCSI from the Nutanix Cluster ISCSI Data Services IP.
For best performance, make sure that the Veeam Nutanix AHV proxy and your CVM are in the same subnet. Also monitor your CVMs resources. They may need additional recourses on each node if you have too many backup jobs.
Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV - How Backup Jobs Work

I suggest to open a support case to analyze the performance of your environment with the debug logs. Don't forget to share your case id with us.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EmmyU
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Emeka Udaya

Re: Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV

Post by EmmyU »

Hi Mildur,
It surprised me that me earlier response did not come through.
Thanks a lot for your help. I did find out that the AHV Backup Proxy VM and Nutanix Controller VM (CVM) are not connected to the same VLAN. We will have to make those changes to get better performance.
My ask: Is there any challenge to I will face if I remove the proxy from 172.x.x.x network and add it to 10.x.x.x network? The CVM is currently 10.x.x.x network. We had taken backups already as is. Will there be a challenge on restoring those backup taken?
Thanks in advance.
Emeka