Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Changing S3 Repo IP Address

Post by NorthGuard »

I am "seeding" a S3 immutable backup for a client by having 2 devices onsite: one that will stay there and one that will be taken offsite. We will call the offsite repo "Remote S3"

When I originally set it up, I setup "Remote S3" within Veeam using its IP address... which will change when I take it offsite.

The architecture is such that Veeam does a backup to the local repo and the a Backup Copy to "Remote S3." Currently "Remote S3" is populated and in sync with the local repo and ready to be moved offsite.

Before actually moving it, I wanted to test the process and performed these actions:

Created a local DNS record pointing to the existing IP of "Remote S3" ( remotes3.domain.com )

Created a new S3 Object Storage Repo, pointing to remotes3.domain.com with the bucket and folder exactly the same as "Remote S3."

The end result of this is 2 repos pointing to the exact same location.

I then rescanned the remotes3.domain.com repo to make all backups visible.

I then Edited an existing Backup Copy Job, changed the storage location to remotes3.domain.com, and then attempted to "Map Backup" - but the resulting screen didn't show any of my backup copies.

I am pretty sure if I continue, it will trigger a full and complete resync instead of picking up where it left off.

Certainly this can be done, right?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Changing S3 Repo IP Address

Post by Mildur »

Hi Northguard

Can you restore from the copied S3 bucket?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Re: Changing S3 Repo IP Address

Post by NorthGuard »

After working with support, they are saying there is no way to do this. The only solution is create an entirely new backup chain, even though the only thing that has changed is the IP.