Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
RobMiller86
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Delete Immutable Backups in Azure

Post by RobMiller86 »

I understand this wouldn't be easy for obvious reasons, but I am wondering if anyone happens to know if there is any way at all, to delete an Azure Blob Container storing immutable backups from Veeam.

Let's say we had an archive tier and had 15 year retention and it was immutable. 5 years in, customer changes their mind and wants to remove the old archives. The entire archive st account needs to be removed. Is there any level of verification at all that you can go through with Microsoft to allow them to delete this data? In this example, at the time of the very last GFS backup written, it would be 15 years to keep it.

Immutability as-is is fine for short retention, but when dealing with longer retention requests, it can be a bit worrisome. For on-prem LHRs, we can delete the data with root. I am sure Azure has a back-end way of doing the same, but I am not sure if they would even consider it, or have some type of lengthy verification process to verify who you are and that you need an entire st account completely removed. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted anything like this with Microsoft Support?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Delete Immutable Backups in Azure

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, you need to cancel the account. Then immutable data gets deleted after 90 (not 100% sure, but it's documented somewhere) days

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure ... ew#pricing
Microsoft website wrote:If you fail to pay your bill and your account has an active time-based retention policy in effect, normal data retention policies will apply as stipulated in the terms and conditions of your contract with Microsoft
Best regards,
Hannes
RobMiller86
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Re: Delete Immutable Backups in Azure

Post by RobMiller86 »

Ok so we should be able to transfer the st account to a new dedicated sub, and then request the entire sub to be canceled. That would work. Thanks Hannes.